Looping setup - multiple instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looping setup - multiple instruments?

Anyone play with looping multiple instruments, possibly with multiple amplifiers as well? I'd love to hear how you're routing your gear.

I'm currently building a set with the Boss RC505 with guitar, bass, and an SM58 running into the Boss RC505's inputs, and running that into a single full frequency amplifier. Pretty pleased with it, so I want to keep any tweaks minimal until I'm actually performing, but here are some ideas. Anything sound cool, or terrible, before I get too in the weeds with it?

Idea 1 - get a little 4 or 8 track mixer to put between the instruments and the looper. Use the mixer to optimize volume, gain, and EQ for each instrument. Pan will allow me to record hard left and hard right, which will allow to me route different loops to different amps using the stereo outputs (like a clean rhythm guitar into a clean amp while ripping distorted leads on a distorted amp) Bonus if the mixer has built in FX, but not necessary. Low signal to noise ratio is crucial.
    Idea 2 - same as above, but then put an FX processor between the mixer and the looper. This would probably be my pedalboard, which really only has a guitar multifx, a 10 band EQ, and a preamp. Adjust FX for each track on the fly. All instruments could utilize all the FX
    Idea 3 - optional addition to put my vocal processor right after the mic. This just cleans up the EQ a bit and has the option for vocal-specific Reverb and Delay. Could do this with or without the pedalboard or mixer.

Thanks, just thinking out loud. A little mixer is probably the first step. Like I said I'm getting decent results without one, but it would be nice to have gain levels and EQ set beforehand. The RC505 has all these controls, but you can only play with one at a time, so layering instruments with the desired EQ and levels takes a bit more trial-and-error than I'd like to do in front of an audience. And then it's easy enough to try running the mixer into the pedalboard and playing with that.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
    Anyone play with looping multiple instruments, possibly with multiple amplifiers as well? I'd love to hear how you're routing your gear.

I'm currently building a set with the Boss RC505 with guitar, bass, and an SM58 running into the Boss RC505's inputs, and running that into a single full frequency amplifier. Pretty pleased with it, so I want to keep any tweaks minimal until I'm actually performing, but here are some ideas. Anything sound cool, or terrible, before I get too in the weeds with it?

Idea 1 - get a little 4 or 8 track mixer to put between the instruments and the looper. Use the mixer to optimize volume, gain, and EQ for each instrument. Pan will allow me to record hard left and hard right, which will allow to me route different loops to different amps using the stereo outputs (like a clean rhythm guitar into a clean amp while ripping distorted leads on a distorted amp) Bonus if the mixer has built in FX, but not necessary. Low signal to noise ratio is crucial.
    Idea 2 - same as above, but then put an FX processor between the mixer and the looper. This would probably be my pedalboard, which really only has a guitar multifx, a 10 band EQ, and a preamp. Adjust FX for each track on the fly. All instruments could utilize all the FX
    Idea 3 - optional addition to put my vocal processor right after the mic. This just cleans up the EQ a bit and has the option for vocal-specific Reverb and Delay. Could do this with or without the pedalboard or mixer.

Thanks, just thinking out loud. A little mixer is probably the first step. Like I said I'm getting decent results without one, but it would be nice to have gain levels and EQ set beforehand. The RC505 has all these controls, but you can only play with one at a time, so layering instruments with the desired EQ and levels takes a bit more trial-and-error than I'd like to do in front of an audience. And then it's easy enough to try running the mixer into the pedalboard and playing with that.
    Mincer should chime in about his IPAD mixer.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

For looping many instruments, put the looper in the aux send of a mixer, and plug the instruments into the mixer. Plug the out of the looper into its own mixer channel.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        For looping many instruments, put the looper in the aux send of a mixer, and plug the instruments into the mixer. Plug the out of the looper into its own mixer channel.
        Interesting. What's the benefit of doing it this way over having the mixer in-line between the instruments and looper? Better control of the outputs to a PA?
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

Interesting. What's the benefit of doing it this way over having the mixer in-line between the instruments and looper? Better control of the outputs to a PA?
          Yes, and better balance of the instruments and looper. There is better separation, and if you don't want a particular instrument looped, you just turn down the aux send.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the tips. Always good to have more ideas.

Next step is finding the right mixer. Built in FX or not... how many channels and budget... figuring out the signal:noise ratio...

Comment

Does this method also solve the issue of mismatched output levels?

I talked to a buddy about this idea, and he said that if I run all my instruments into the mixer and then run the mixer into the looper, I could have problems. Reason being that the looper wants to accept instrument-level signals, and the mixer will be putting out line-level signals (much hotter). Been playing music for 25 years and have successfully avoided these issues... but no longer I suppose. Does this sound right? If so, would the method of putting the looper in the aux send solve the issue? I guess it would depend on what "level" the aux send would be sending out to the looper. Any ideas on how to figure this out?

Ought to just find a mixer to borrow and test things out on.

Comment

Yes, and allows you to loop a guitar and a microphone, which have vastly different output levels. Whatever is plugged into the mixer can be sent to the looper: keyboard, mp3 player, etc. The sound will come through whatever the mixer is plugged into.
                I used this method for years. My guitar was going through a modeler, plugged into the mixer, and into the PA. So through the PA (or headphones), I could loop anything, and the levels would match. You couldn't tell what was live or looped, which is the way I used it- grabbing a vocal, bass line or guitar part and sending to the loop at will.

Comment

Yes, and allows you to loop a guitar and a microphone, which have vastly different output levels. Whatever is plugged into the mixer can be sent to the looper: keyboard, mp3 player, etc. The sound will come through whatever the mixer is plugged into.
                  I used this method for years. My guitar was going through a modeler, plugged into the mixer, and into the PA. So through the PA (or headphones), I could loop anything, and the levels would match. You couldn't tell what was live or looped, which is the way I used it- grabbing a vocal, bass line or guitar part and sending to the loop at will.
                  Slick. Does make sense. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                  X