banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD Pickup booster pedal at line level +4 db?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Pickup booster pedal at line level +4 db?

Thinking of using a Seymour Duncan pickup booster in my amps fx loop to give a volume boost for solos. All my amps have a -10db fx loop except the serial loop on my Marshall which is +4db. Anyone know if the pickup booster plays nice at line level of +4db?

thanks!

I would think it would be ok. Technically, it's -10 dBV vs +4 dBu, which translates to a little over 300 mv's vs around 1.2 volts. Many guitars can hit a volt, (or more), so I imagine the Pickup Booster could handle that with no problem.

Here's a little chart I like to keep around for reference.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dBV_vs_dBu.gif Views:	0 Size:	6.7 KB ID:	6073044

Comment

Why would you put it there instead of in the front? Usually you'd put the boost in front, so I was just wondering why.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Why would you put it there instead of in the front? Usually you'd put the boost in front, so I was just wondering why.
        I’m getting my gain tones from the amp, so if I hit the front end with a boost it will increase the saturation but doesn’t increase the volume so much. I put the clean boost in the fx loop so it comes after the amps preamp and gives a nice volume increase for solos without affecting the tone. The pickup booster is perfect for this as it’s a clean level boost.

If I was playing into a clean amp and using pedals for gain then yeah I’d put the pickup booster in front of the amp and after the gain pedals to get that increase in volume for solos.

For boosting the front end of a crunchy/overdriven amp into more saturation I use either a boss sd1 or Maxon808 in front of the amp, but still have the clean boost in the loop to increase volume for solos. The SD1 and Maxon808 also do a great job of tightening up and eqing the tone as they boost mids and cut bass a little.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post

I’m getting my gain tones from the amp, so if I hit the front end with a boost it will increase the saturation but doesn’t increase the volume so much. I put the clean boost in the fx loop so it comes after the amps preamp and gives a nice volume increase for solos without affecting the tone. The pickup booster is perfect for this as it’s a clean level boost.

If I was playing into a clean amp and using pedals for gain then yeah I’d put the pickup booster in front of the amp and after the gain pedals to get that increase in volume for solos.

For boosting the front end of a crunchy/overdriven amp into more saturation I use either a boss sd1 or Maxon808 in front of the amp, but still have the clean boost in the loop to increase volume for solos. The SD1 and Maxon808 also do a great job of tightening up and eqing the tone as they boost mids and cut bass a little.
          Ahh...just make sure the power amp can handle the signal boost. It puts out a lot more volume than the typical chorus or delay.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X