Wet Dry with TC Mimiq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Dry with TC Mimiq

Thoughts on this setup. I know it’s been covered and between TPS and Rabea’s channel I’ve seen similar.

2 amps I am running together are Peavey Classic 30 as wet and PRS MT-15 dry. They sound great together both clean and with gain

Guitar > EP Boost (always on) > Ult Oct > Slash Sub Oct > B Custom Cool OD > Wah > Big Shot splitter. All of these pedals are in front of the amps

Amp A from Big Shot goes into PRS. Amp B goes into Sweet Honey OD > Whammy > MXR Univibe > MXR Phaser > Classic 30

Out of PRS MT-15 Loop into TC Mimiq Mono or dry input and back into MT-15 return
    Out of Classic 30 into Mimiq Stereo or wet, into Line 6 M9 which has delays and reverbs mostly but an occasional Tremolo and even a synth effect for a song

i set the gain channels on both amps high, if you’ve played the MT-15 there is no low gain setting . Sweet Honey OD helps tighten the Classic 30 gain channel which can get flubby. B Custom Cool OD is my low gain option in front of both amps. I actually use the shallow detune setting on the Digitech Whammy and roll in the desired level. It’s like chorus but not and sounds great in wet dry. Univibe is set fast used on solo for Good Times Bad Times

So far I like the setup. Just use a single overdub on Mimiq. It is a bit of a pedal dance stepping on both amp switchers at the same time to go from clean to dirty then the Sweet Honey OD. When we get back to regular gigs I may look into a loop switcher.

Thanks for looking

I'm dizzy.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
      I'm dizzy.
      Well played

Comment

I gotta ask, why do something that complex for a wet/dry when you can do stereo just as easy if not easier??
        Stereo Reverb, stereo delay, stereo modulation, the list goes on......

Comment

I have done stereo effects as well. With wet dry, you get a clear focused sound from the dry amp that just comes through better than it both amps have effects. I watched TPS on YouTube go through all different variations and having one dry amp always sounded best.

Comment

Hard not to watch TPS!

Comment

I would try the Mimiq after the splitter, so the doubling effect goes into the front end of the wet amp rather than thru the FX loop. Not that it is wrong using it in the FX loop, I use it in my FX loop but that is because I have a single preamp into stereo power amp, but really would like to have myself a second preamp to compare.
              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Got a Musicomlab EFX MKIII switcher arriving today to set up all my pedal and amp switching presets. One song in particular requires a switch from both amps clean with Phase 95 to both amps dirty, Ultimate Octave and shallow detune on the Whammy. It’s something ridiculous like 5 pedal stomps. Can’t wait to program this.

Comment

My setup keeps getting more complex.
                  Current setup: guitar>wah>buffer>amp>efx loop send>buffer>TC Electronics Nova system>L/R out to Mimiq (Mimiq buffer is on)>Mimiq R to efx return, L to small clean amp.

Now I have a stand alone preamp that sounds sooo good! It's a gain monster of sorts and it's perfect for leads (can do that liquid gain thing really well). So I have ordered a JHS Switchback utility pedal which is an A/B efx loop switcher pedal. It has 2 loops and all you can do is A/B between the 2 loops. Most importantly there's a remote jack so you can run a cord out front to a latching switch and go back and forth between the 2 loops with this sitting back at the amp.

So now my setup will look like this: Guitar>wah>buffer>Input of JHS Switchback>JHS Switchback loop 1 send to amp input>amp efx send to Switchback loop 1 return>Switchback loop 2 send to preamp input>preamp output to Switchback loop 2 return> Switchback output>buffer>TC Electronics Nova system>L/R out to Mimiq (Mimiq buffer is on)>Mimiq R to efx return, L to small clean amp, and latching switch on pedalboard out front to Switchback remote jack to toggle between amp front end and stand alone preamp.

Easier to understand with a diagram than this flowchart for sure.

Comment

Do you have any audio examples of this setup?
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I remember Brian Wampler did a video with the Mimic and it went from underwhelming in mono to quite awesome in stereo. I was watching his Terraform demo, I’m almost wondering if he’s using a similar technique on the algorithms that are straight mono when the extra knob adds stereo spread.

The interesting thing on your setup is putting the Phase, UniVibe and Whammy on the wet only. I like all of those before drive and on the whole signal. Putting the Mimic before the preamps would also simplify routing, you’d only need effects loop cabling for the M9 reverb/delay.

But, that’s the fun of building your own rig, everyone gets to do what they like! I’m sure a lot of people would be dumbfounded by my big board that uses nested loop switchers inside an ES8.
                      Last edited by PFDarkside; 05-16-2021, 09:24 AM.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

One thing about the Mimiq in stereo is since the effect plays with the phase of the 2 signals the low end will kind of go missing when you're using it which can be a bit frustrating at times: get the tone you want, turn on the Mimiq and there goes the low end!
                        I almost want to put it in a loop with an EQ so I can compensate for this.
                        Last edited by Oldfart_Shredman; 05-17-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Did our first gig this past Saturday night. Ditched the Mimiq because I didn’t feel it was adding enough but felt like it was sucking a little tone out. I think I was experiencing the phase issue you were speaking of. Got great tones and even with 2nd guitar player in the band, I could hear the difference. Enjoyed mixing in the Digitech Whammy with shallow detune for that slight chorus micro pitch shift thing. All in all happy with the rig. Now to start playing with other amp combinations. Next up is Peavey JSX which is in the shop, and Ampeg VH140C for a super metal setup. Both are 212 combos. Gotta work on my recording skills to get some tone samples up

Comment

Originally posted by t1r12003 View Post
                            Did our first gig this past Saturday night. Ditched the Mimiq because I didn’t feel it was adding enough but felt like it was sucking a little tone out. I think I was experiencing the phase issue you were speaking of. Got great tones and even with 2nd guitar player in the band, I could hear the difference. Enjoyed mixing in the Digitech Whammy with shallow detune for that slight chorus micro pitch shift thing. All in all happy with the rig. Now to start playing with other amp combinations. Next up is Peavey JSX which is in the shop, and Ampeg VH140C for a super metal setup. Both are 212 combos. Gotta work on my recording skills to get some tone samples up
                            Meanwhile at rehearsal our drummer is the only one using in ears and has the stereo mix and he can't get over how good it sounds.
                            The low end disappears to us but in a true wide stereo field (where we don't have both speaker cabinets aimed at us) I don't think it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldfart_Shredman View Post

Meanwhile at rehearsal our drummer is the only one using in ears and has the stereo mix and he can't get over how good it sounds.
                              The low end disappears to us but in a true wide stereo field (where we don't have both speaker cabinets aimed at us) I don't think it does.
                              Very cool. My drummer always listens to me when I tell him about my new setup and smiles and shakes his head. "Dude, you sound great no matter what you do" Pretty sure he's right, all this is in my own head, audience probably can't tell, and I could probably just gig with a combo amp and a delay pedal. When I'm older that may be the way to go. But for now, it's super fun!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X