Compressor pedal for guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor pedal for guitar?

So, I've started a savings account, that will let me get (roughly) one new pedal a month . Or something equivalent.

I played around with my new Zoom multi-effects trough my Blackstar HT-20mkII this morning, and even though the Zoom sounds kinda "plastic'y" and sucks tone,
    i enjoyed using some of the compressor pedal simulations.

I find it adds some chime & warmth to my cleans, and also lets my distorted tone and leads, sustain longer- without having to add more gain.

As some of you know, I have absolutely no chance of trying out stuff before I order them. There's only one music store left in North Norway, and that's a (excuse me) terrible little store, located over 2 hours with bus from here. And last time I checked, they didn't stock anything that did interest me.

The pedals I've looked at online, is the EHX "Tone Corset", and the Fender "The Bends". They cost roughly the same, and share a feature that I feel is a "must have" for me, a dry/wet blend knob.

I'm "afraid" I will use the compressor as an /always on/ pedal, to fatten up the tone. Therefore the "blend" knob seems very nice. But I have no experience with compressors, so... I really don't know .

Anyone have experience with these two? And/or can you recommend a compressor pedal, that sounds musical- preferably analog; and not outside my price range?

Thanks alot,

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I'd start with a Boss CS-3. Fairly easy to find cheap used-price in good shape.

Comment

First comment: The "Zoom" sounding plastic-y is not the Zoom. It's you. Yes, you played around with it. Now sit down, spend some time and get serious with it. Dig deep, learn it, don't overkill it. If you can't program a decent tone with any box out today, it's you - not the box. That thing has more juice than an 80's rack of doom.

Just spend QUALITY time learning where to set the parameters and how the work/interact.

Best compressor advice EVER (and I learned it here): Set the compressor to just where you can hear it. Then turn it down just a little more. I am not a "Blend" guy" so can't help there.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm really into compressors and have tried a few. There are different types of compression depending on what you're after: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/comptypes.shtml

If you can pick a type it's easier to recommend you one that you'll like. If we recommend from different categories it's a bit apples and oranges. I believe the Tone Corset are the bends are based on Dyna Comp which is the most classic one. For always on and a bit more subtle, some people prefer optical compressors like the Diamond and its cheaper copies/clones.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Best compressor advice EVER (and I learned it here): Set the compressor to just where you can hear it. Then turn it down just a little more. I am not a "Blend" guy" so can't help there.
          That's also what I do

I remember the first time I used one live in the 90s. When I got off stage some of our regulars couldn't pinpoint what was different but told me that that night I sounded "more professional". Hasn't left the board since

Blend imho is handy but unnecessary. A lot of folks don’t spend the time with the other controls so prefer to use blend as a shortcut ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I remember owning an EHX "Black Finger" compressor, the one with two 12ax7's. It stopped working suddently- sent it back as a warranty deal; got a new one- that also quit working soon and suddenly.

But it sounded really great! Too bad they aren't made, and/or sold anymore? And the reliability was rather poor.

Aceman: I tell you; this unit sounds PLASTIC. There is no highs, no dynamics, and my strings sounds like rubber bands. Even "bypassed" or with no effects enabled. Unfortunately :/.

-Erlend
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Using a blend knob allows you to get parallel compression sounds that can't really be replicated with out one. My current compressor just has two knobs . . . blend/volume and it works great for everything from subtle to super heavy squash.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^^ yeah;

My most used pedal (always on), my Electro Harmonic "Allied Overdrive", has a blend knob.

It's such a wonderful tone shaping tool. The interactive 3-band equalizer, gives everything from a fat, dark tone, a midrangy "80's" screech, to a bright, jangly sparkle. And the gain control has tons of range aswell.

(only thing it doesn't do, is compress the tone. The overdrive/distortion is of a crunchy, open type.)-
                The blend knob is what tops it off- I keep it usually around noon, subtle adjustments in correlation with the gain and EQ, gives a TON of different sounds .

So I figured out- I like the "blend" thing. Also, I don't want to run a very audible "compressed" sound; just beef up the tone I already got...

-E ♪
                Last edited by Erlend_G; 05-04-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Found this article!

compressor, pedal, effects, boutique, limiter, leveler, tube, valve, review, stompbox, bass, guitar, compression, recording, stage

Comment

I'm realizing I'm trying to make some kind of... "frankenstein's monster" out of my Blackstar HT-20mkII combo, with all the boxes and stuff I'm running into (and in the loop of) it. :/

But heck. The money that was supposed to get me my Fender amp, (that was stolen), shall be used to beef up my tone accordingly . hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                      ^^ yeah;

My most used pedal (always on), my Electro Harmonic "Allied Overdrive", has a blend knob.

It's such a wonderful tone shaping tool. The interactive 3-band equalizer, gives everything from a fat, dark tone, a midrangy "80's" screech, to a bright, jangly sparkle. And the gain control has tons of range aswell.

(only thing it doesn't do, is compress the tone. The overdrive/distortion is of a crunchy, open type.)-
                      The blend knob is what tops it off- I keep it usually around noon, subtle adjustments in correlation with the gain and EQ, gives a TON of different sounds .

So I figured out- I like the "blend" thing. Also, I don't want to run a very audible "compressed" sound; just beef up the tone I already got...

-E ♪
                      I think you'll be happy with a lot of pedals then, including the ones you said before.

A simple one I used for quite some time and liked in that line is the Xotic SP compressor. The Keeley four knob is a classic and the Wampler ego I've never used personally but gets good reviews. Since we are here, I'll also recommend the SD Vise Grip

Comment

I like a blend knob as well If a compressor doesn't have one, it just doesn't work the same. I would assume either of the ones you mentioned would be great for your needs- am amazed that a blend knob has become such a popular feature.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For me, I gotta have a blend knob.The Keeley Compressor Plus is my favorite. Well worth the price. In my rig I use it mostly when playing clean but if want to go over the top with my lead tone, I turn it on. Gotta keep the control or things get crazy because I have dialed in for the clean only. That's ok though. It's not very often I do kick it on when playing with heavy drive.

Comment

The blend knob is for Pina Coladas and Daqueries.

Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Did you run your Zoom through the loop or into the front? And though I may have said it differently, I agree with Ace that you really need to dig into the settings. There is a lot of room for adjustment available. Have fun with it though. Did it sound better through the headphones coming out of the amp?

Comment

Working...
                              X