banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-Pedal Power Supplies for Noise Reduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Pedal Power Supplies for Noise Reduction?

So, despite checking out electrically and installing new outlets everywhere, the power in my home office isn't the cleanest it seems.

I am currently running my amp and PC through a power conditioner, but it seems that I may be having noise issues with high gain pedals whose power supplies aren't plugged into the conditioner (not enough outlets).

I'm seeing multi-pedal power supplies like the new Ernie Ball "Volt" that claim to offer isolated outputs for reduced noise. However, boxes like that from the name brands are running $100+ from what I can see.

Is there a good quality alternative with similar performance that isn't overly large or so expensive? I only need to power 3-4 pedals at any time.

Can't you add more outlets via a few few cheap power strips out of the power conditioner? As long as you're not over taxing the conditioner I don't see any potential issues and pedals of course run on a tiny amount of current in the first place.

Comment

What kind of wall-wart are you currently using to power your pedals? Some of them are better than others at filtering noise from the wall.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Strymon, Cioks, Eventide are what you are looking for. The other issue is the wall power and regulating that at the source. AMP RX is the solution for the other "power" issue.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
          Strymon, Cioks, Eventide are what you are looking for. The other issue is the wall power and regulating that at the source. AMP RX is the solution for the other "power" issue.
          Those are great suggestions, but every one of those is more expensive than the Ernie Ball "Volt", MXR Iso-Brick, or similar, which essentially do the same thing from what I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            What kind of wall-wart are you currently using to power your pedals? Some of them are better than others at filtering noise from the wall.
            Individual power adapters currently, Boss and D'Addario.

I typically only run 2-3 pedals at a time, but I'd like the option to do up to 4. I have a Boss Katana 100 with the GA-FC footswitch, so pedals are just icing on the cake and not my primary focus. That said, they impart unwanted noise to my sound

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
              Can't you add more outlets via a few few cheap power strips out of the power conditioner? As long as you're not over taxing the conditioner I don't see any potential issues and pedals of course run on a tiny amount of current in the first place.
              This is a great point. I think I can reorganize things to accommodate a single power strip that's dedicated to the pedals off the line conditioner.

The multi-pedal power supplies have piqued my interest because some offer proper isolation of the outputs (apparently a lot of the cheap ones claim to, but don't always) and I'm thinking of throwing a small pedalboard together with my Boss GA-FC (for my Katana 100) mounted on it.

Comment

I'm not sure the MXR and EB are truly isolated, I'm not sure how the ones that are powered from a DC wall wart do true isolation. i'm always suspicious of power supplies that are powered by a wall wart, not plugging directly into AC.

Comment

EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Those are great suggestions, but every one of those is more expensive than the Ernie Ball "Volt", MXR Iso-Brick, or similar, which essentially do the same thing from what I can tell.
                    My point being proper isolated power per pedal that can handle the mA's of the pedal etc. That is one part of the power equation. The other power equation is are you getting the right power/voltage at the source (wall)? If you are not, then the AmpRX or similar type product is what you will need to regulate the power to the right amount. Not doing so will add noise and make your rig sound like crap. I am not sure what specifically is your issue you are trying to overcome, I simply provided solutions that work for either scenario. The other issue you need to address (potentially) is the draw from each of your pedals per isolation and from all of your pedals as a whole to see if the powering device you are using provides enough power to properly power all of your pedals. If not, again, another issue to deal with.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Description sounds suspicious, says the circuits are separately fused but doesn't really say anything about electrical isolation.

I used a Modtone power supply that I picked up relatively cheap used, it was isolated and worked really well. The Amazon "brands" look interesting, you can always get one and return it if it doesn't work as advertised.
                      Last edited by devastone; 05-07-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I've tested a lot of these on a scope but not all -and Strymons, Voodoos were really quiet -especially for digital pedal noise -I imagine the Eventide is superb just on reputation.. The key with any brand is isolation transformers to electrically separate the wall from the what you will convert to DC power on the other side. From there you can get a real external conditioner if needed, but those approach 1k or more.

however, that only solves most of it.... you still have the RF inducting into equipment and another real issue is often residential level grounding by electrical tradesman who are typically apprentices -basically dirty neutral conductors due to a poor earth for the home electrical system. So if you want super quiet -have an electrician re-spike your ground and provide a NETA ground resistance rating measurement. Or next level would be run an isolated technical ground for select jamming/recording areas in the house, after that you could add faraday paint in a room and ground it (for excessive RF), and then get totally crazy with 60V to 60V balanced power (common mode rejection just like a line level balanced cable but more voltage) -which is awesome and totally insane.
                        Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-07-2021, 03:32 PM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          The key with any brand is isolated transformers to electrically separate the wall from the what you will convert to DC power on the other side.
                          This. This is also why I am suspicious of any "isolated" multi outlet power supplies that are fed from a wall wart and not AC in, transformers do not work on DC. I'm sure there are chips out to do DC isolation, but I've been out of the 'lectrical loop for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

This. This is also why I am suspicious of any "isolated" multi outlet power supplies that are fed from a wall wart and not AC in, transformers do not work on DC. I'm sure there are chips out to do DC isolation, but I've been out of the 'lectrical loop for a while.
                            Totally.. I am certain there are certainly isolation/rectifier combo chips as a cheaper option. The problem in the tiny size of a chip the field size and quality I bet.

i meant "isolation" transformers of couse.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Description sounds suspicious, says the circuits are separately fused but doesn't really say anything about electrical isolation.

I used a Modtone power supply that I picked up relatively cheap used, it was isolated and worked really well. The Amazon "brands" look interesting, you can always get one and return it if it doesn't work as advertised.
                              I posted the one i use
                              i haven't had a noise issue with mine
                              I like the LEDs
                              I like the extra receptacles on top for those one offs

It just powers the pedal board
                              daisy chain two if you want
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X