Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helix HX Stomp?

Saw this vid yesterday, and it really interested me:

So basically - this thing appears to be the same as my Zoom G3N - is that correct? It looks like to to me. And it looks like this guy would and does use it exactly the same way I do. He runs a bunch of swirl and clean in and off it, but can also go direct if he really wanted to? I'd run a dirt pedal (Riot) into the front and use it for ambience too.

Never heard of the delay/reverb, but I get what he is doing there. When using amp models I definitely ran out of processing juice as most setups had a Model, a boost, and an EQ of some sort with a cab right out of the gate, and it left little for mod/delay/verb.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

You now have 8 blocks on the HX Stomp. You can divide that up into effects and amp/cabs. For some people, it is plenty. Another option is something like the HX Effects, and then use a separate amp modeler pedal in case your rig goes down and you have to go direct.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So how does the HX compare to my Zoom?

Comment

I haven't played the Zoom but the Stomp is a really cool unit. I can get out of it all I need and it is able to be used in various ways etc. Great piece of gear to have for several reasons, backup being just one of them.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          So how does the HX compare to my Zoom?
          Well, I don't know, since I've never tried the Zoom. But with the HX platform, you get a system that is updated frequently, with effects that simply don't appear anywhere else. You also get one hell of an online community to discuss this stuff (which regularly includes the developers). The HX Effects is also really transparent- it will pass signal when it isn't even plugged in.

You could do something like a pedalboard with the HX Effects and the Atomic Ampli Fire box, and use it with your normal amp, bypassing the amp modeler. If your amp goes down, just switch the Atomic on, and run an XLR to the PA. No need to look for the right patches with the amp models in them. Also, the control over each individual effects within a patch is great with the HXFX, not so good with the Stomp (3 buttons).

Comment

My zoom presents banks of three patches, with three easily accessible on-off's for at least three effects.

It also Models. Not a ton - but enough....They also update and have online stuff, but I haven't generally indulged. easy enough to make my own for whatever I want.

But I'm intrigued.

Comment

I think the only way to know is to go try one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                You now have 8 blocks on the HX Stomp.
                It used to be 6 right? Are the amp sounds meant for direct only or can it be used as an amp in the room? For example I currently use tube preamp pedal into a ISP Stealth power amp, both in my pedal board. Can this replace my physical preamp pedal and use these virtual preamps instead? I don't play direct but reducing rig size and weight is always a priority for me, this could potentially take care of preamp and FX (chorus, delay and reverb) and reduce my rig.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post

It used to be 6 right? Are the amp sounds meant for direct only or can it be used as an amp in the room? For example I currently use tube preamp pedal into a ISP Stealth power amp, both in my pedal board. Can this replace my physical preamp pedal and use these virtual preamps instead? I don't play direct but reducing rig size and weight is always a priority for me, this could potentially take care of preamp and FX (chorus, delay and reverb) and reduce my rig.
                  Yes, there used to be 6 blocks, but they just increased it. The amp sounds are supposed to be direct. I suppose you can make a signal path where it splits just before the amp, and you can send a signal to an onstage amp, and send the signal of the amp models to the PA, but those might be vastly different sounds.
                  It can replace your virtual preamp pedal, and just go to a power amp onstage, and cab. Then it will sound the same in both places.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I think the only way to know is to go try one out.
                    You a paid Line 6 artist? Just checking....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

You a paid Line 6 artist? Just checking....
                      Nah, just own a few of their pedals (and 1 guitar).

Comment

Working...
                      X