NPD: Got a whole lot of love for this pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: Got a whole lot of love for this pedal

I have a couple of AIB pedals that I love. However, none of them have a VOX flavor. While I love Brian May's tone and also Petty and the Edge, I am hunting down Page's Vox Super Beatle tone. At first blush, I am going to be able to get there with this pedal. The CHARACTER control rolls you through different Vox amp model types, a pretty cool feature. The DRIVE is impressive. At noon it is plenty of gain. I have not come close to diming this pedal out. This surprised me seeing I am a high-gain player. I have only had a few hours to play with it, but so far, I am delighted with my purchase.

Sans Amp is good stuff. The only thing that 'might' be better is the Wampler ThirtySomething. But not sure if it does the Page/Super Beetle. Does the character doc say what models it does? Is it a click for each amp type? Or just a continuous effect that gets into the territory of different amps as you go?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Sans Amp is good stuff. The only thing that 'might' be better is the Wampler ThirtySomething. But not sure if it does the Page/Super Beetle. Does the character doc say what models it does? Is it a click for each amp type? Or just a continuous effect that gets into the territory of different amps as you go?
      The manual gives hints but does not lay it all out. CHARACTER is a potentiometer with a continuous effect that gets into the territory of different amps as you go. I have been playing with this by itself but hope to put it on the board this weekend with a Rangemaster clone ala Page and May.

I did look at the 30 Something it was expensive and did not do what I was looking for.

Comment

Nice score. Those character series pedals are awesome! The British one is my favorite. I gotta hunt one of those down after the move.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          Nice score. Those character series pedals are awesome! The British one is my favorite. I gotta hunt one of those down after the move.
          It is really cool but blew my away this afternoon when using the speaker simulation. It mimics an Alinco Bulldog and for lack of a better term it Voxes is out even more.

Comment

And it looks like you have version 2 of those. Version 1 didn't have the speaker simulation.

Comment

And it looks like you have version 2 of those. Version 1 didn't have the speaker simulation.
              The speaker sim is a game-changer. Here is the rundown of the features.

Comment

Reads like Petty would be the Page/Super Beetle starting point.

Comment

The best sounds I get from the Liverpool are with the character & mid knobs set in opposing position, like if character at 2 o'clock then Mid at 11 o'clock or so. This one doesn't have alot of lows or lower mids which seems to allow it to sit easier in a mix. The tone while being bright to begin with, actually sounds better with the treble knob set to around 1o'clock or little higher, kinda sounds more voxy that way to me.

While the clean sounds are good, it's the breakup sounds that I like this pedal for most.

Comment

It didn't have the speaker sim defeat switch but it did have a speaker sim. The switch on V2 turns on an eq to make the pedal more workable in front of an amp/preamp, it was added for convenience since people that ran these in front of the amp found it too bright. If you can even score a V1 then that would work fine, the eq controls are post gain & quite powerful in tone shaping on these.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Reads like Petty would be the Page/Super Beetle starting point.
                      I was playing around with songs from the first two albums and I must say it is close enough for horseshoes.

Comment

Nice grab brother!
                        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

That is seriously cool! I'll have to check this out

Comment

This thing sounds so great through my JC I am thinking about blowing up my live rig and starting over (with the gear I have not new gear). Cooler heads prevailed and I am going to take the Liverpool to practice tonight to see how it sounds through the Marshall. Amazing I would bet. I will let you know.

Comment

Had to come back to this thread. Yes, the Liverpool sounds great with the Marshall. I have been using it for a lot of classic rock stuff. The gain from this pedal is amazing.

This week we added Sunday Bloody Sunday to the set. When I got to practice I rolled back the drive, character and turned on the speaker sim, instant Edge. There is so much tonal versatility I am getting from this box.

Comment

Working...
                              X