Mooer Pure Boost, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mooer Pure Boost, any good?

I’m still looking at trying to fit a mini boost or overdrive on my pedalboard, anyone have any experience with these?

I have been using one for years as my main "go louder" button after a Solo Distortion for rehearsals/backup.

+ Nice and loud
    + Can give bass/treble a little tweak for cut/thump or reduce boom/shriek if needed
    + Sturdy
    + Ability to add some gain if desired

- Gain and volume controls seem to interact a bit (remember - I just want volume mostly)
    - Gain control is the big knob, not level (unless you like tweaking the gain

Honestly, a pretty flexible boost without being a tube screamer. I really like it. I'd probably be better off with a Keeley Katana or a Spark, but I was on a Mooer binge. No regrets
    Last edited by Aceman; 05-22-2021, 07:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks, I’m thinking that something I would run always-on, which can add clean signal boost to push my amp harder, allow me to enhance top end “sparkle” a little, and possible reduce bass, would be in order.
      Mini and cheap to fit in the last space on my board, and so I can afford to not like it and pick another.

Comment

Totally fits the bill on every point.

Comment

Would you pick it over the TS Mini as an always-on?

Comment

If Gain was not my primary goal - yep. I don't actually know what the top end of the OD is, but I'm pretty sure it is less than a TS9.

The gain at ~10 and below is really light to none. You can dial in just the right push easy. Gain at 9/10 and then volume to taste Klon style, with bass-treble to taste.
            Last edited by Aceman; 05-24-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Remember: Its a clone of an Exotic RC Booster

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Remember: Its a clone of an Exotic RC Booster
                  How do the RC Booster and the BB Preamp compare? Because I believe the Tone City Kaffir Lime is a copy of the BB Preamp, and is a similar price to (a little less than) the Mooer.

Comment

No idea. You have now exceeded my knowledge base. I use a Pure Boost. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                      Would you pick it over the TS Mini as an always-on?
                      Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

How do the RC Booster and the BB Preamp compare? Because I believe the Tone City Kaffir Lime is a copy of the BB Preamp, and is a similar price to (a little less than) the Mooer.
                      TS9 has a massive mid hump, the RC is designed to be much flatter. The RC has 6 clipping diodes so if you really push it you get a little breakup. The AC has more clipping than the RC. The BB is like a TS modded for more bass and gain.

For an always on boost with some EQ the RC or Mooer equivalent seems ideal. If you want that mid push and some clipping, the TS does one thing but the AC or BB boost with gain and EQ options.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks. With most pedals it’s far easier to decide what I like, I guess because a Rotovibe or a Big Muff does what it does, whereas a subtle boost/ drive is so much harder to judge without having your hands on it and trying it in your rig.

Comment

Working...
                        X