The Ultimate Guitar Pedal Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Guitar Pedal Topic

What's the best Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer-like pedal? I'm not shopping at all. I just want to start a discussion. My preferred use is boosting a gainy amp, but if you like using a specific one into a clean amp, I'm willing to listen to your opinion. For what it's worth, I'm definitely including asymmetrical-clippers as well, so if an SD-1 is your thing, more power to you.

Bad Monkey
    it has more controls and amp sim direct out
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My fav is the SD 805, because of the expanded gain range, and the 3 band active EQ. It is able to clone every TS and TS-like pedal I own (and built), but do even more than that do to that EQ.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Homebrew Electronics Power Screamer with Fat Boost. There isn't a TS tone that this thing doesn't do.

Super well built, relatively inexpensive and sounds great. Always.

Comment

i have a handful of ts like pedals, though not any ibanez currently. i love the barber ltd, the vox valvetone (mine has an analogman silver mod), way huge green rhino mk2, and even the boss sd1. i have a way huge camel toe which has the mk4 green rhino but i like the mk2 better. i dont like the boss buffer so the sd1 (and oc2) live in a bypass loop

Comment

I really like the original TS808. It's a warmer tone than the TS9 and even the Boss SD-1. I don't use it anymore but if I had to pick a TS type pedal, that would be the first one that I would grab. The HBE Power Screamer is great but sadly, HBE went out of business. Might be able to find one used.

Now, if Boss were to say, reissue the old OD-1, it is a TS-ish like circuit, I'd be all over it. There's some differences in the signal routing through the op-amp, but the rest of the circuit is relatively the same. I've modded SD-1's to OD-1 specs (the 8-pin chip version anyway). I'd love to see the 16-pin chip version come back but that chip isn't available anymore or very very limited stock finds so hardly worth the investment unless Roland can get it made again.

But anyway, I like the simpler pedals myself, maybe a mod or two here or there (more low end is always a good mod).

Comment

At the end of the day I love a bone stock TS9.

It is simply "That" sound, like a DiMarzio SuperDistortion, or a Les Paul, or a JCM800....

Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

It is simply "That" sound, like a DiMarzio SuperDistortion, or a Les Paul, or a JCM800....
                That’s my answer too.

If the question is what is your favorite Tube Screamer based pedal, it’s a different story.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  What's the best Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer-like pedal?
                  Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  f the question is what is your favorite Tube Screamer based pedal, it’s a different story.
                  That is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

That is the question.
                    I really like the Fulldrive 2, but it’s only Tube Screamer (SD-1 technically) inspired/modded but it can be quite different. I like that and the Wampler Clarksdale.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I played a friends original TS-808 back in 1983. It didn't do anything for me at the time. I have a TS-9DX now. I like the mode options. Could be smoother and more natural (can be a little brittle sounding, though there's a tone on there that solves that reasonably well.). TS's really need a good amp to drive. IME if the amp is stellar sounding to start with, a TS9 can squeeze out that last 3-5% of sensitivity, drive and tone. My preferred boost/drive pedals these days, however, are not a TS-type, but the Archer Ikon and the Brain May Treble Booster Classic, which has all 3 models of Fryer boosters in one housing. I want to try the Jeff Beck version of the Ikon, but kind of expensive just to try out. I don't use boosts a lot, so I have limited experience and don't have enough of a need to obsess over them. They're just a useful tool once in a while, often I use them just to balance the level and drive when I need to switch between a Gibson and a Fender in the same backline.

Comment

Hard to say for me. It really depends on the amp and what I am trying to accomplish.
                        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Anyone that has been here longer than a week knows I love my Dirt Clod. It does a great 808 with more gain and EQ, It also does great ground to diode.

Comment

I tried several ts variations and decided I just don't like them. Then I traded for a cheap MXR Classic OD on a whim and I love it! Gives very smooth, sweet boost to a gainy amp. Ts the GT-OD circuit. Tried switching it to the Zach Wilde circuit and HATED that. No need for the external switch mod for me, one mode is great and the other mode just grates!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I say as I spend the evening playing a Bad Monkey, with a BBE Green Screamer in the picture....

Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X