Talk to me about digital delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about digital delay

I have a Carbon Copy mini, really happy with it and what it brings to the table and been thinking, do I need to add some digital delay to the board. Talk me in or out of a digital delay pedal.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

i use an analog delay for most things but on my big board i have an analog delay for shorter delays (which is what i typically use anyway) and a digital delay for longer delays since they are generally cleaner

Comment

Get one. There is something to be said for a crisp exact copy of the note, especially in a noisy distorted environment. Fuzz + Analog "Warmth" = unidentifiable analog crap.

Clean, crisp, super long....you need a digital delay.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've found digital delays can sound like analog just by darkening the EQ of the repeats and adding a little modulation. But an analog delay can never get clean and clear as a digital, so for me digital is a requirement and analog is optional. I can do anything with digital. I can do some things with analog.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          I have a Carbon Copy mini, really happy with it and what it brings to the table and been thinking, do I need to add some digital delay to the board. Talk me in or out of a digital delay pedal.
          From an overall viewpoint:

You already have a delay to do delay things, and you dig it.

Maybe there's a different kind of pedal (OD, Dist, Modulation, Clean Boost, Compressor, etc) that you don't have one of yet...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

From an overall viewpoint:

You already have a delay to do delay things, and you dig it.

Maybe there's a different kind of pedal (OD, Dist, Modulation, Clean Boost, Compressor, etc) that you don't have one of yet...
            What you have listed, only thing missing off that list is a clean boost and a compressor, but then again, can never have too many dirt pedals.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

It depends on your musical needs and what you like. It never hurts to have various tools in your tool belt. I am always a fan of getting more gear so I say go for it. We get one life, living is far better than existing. YMMV
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I love warm sounding digital delays with massive delay times- loops for days! If I can use an expression pedal mapped to feedback, even better.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would definitely do a compressor before a second delay BUT I love delays and do have both an analog (DMM) and a digital delay (Boss DD-3 T) that love and use for different things.

Comment

I had a Boss DD3 forever. Awesome pedal. Ran a shorter delay time on the DD3 and a longer one for solos with an analog delay.

Comment

My ideal delay 1-2 punch is an AD9 for shorter and a DD3 for longer. Had the DD3 for decades. would take it over an analog any day.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't have a true analog but the original flashback can do an OK clone but has been staying on the 2290 mode lately​ set very short in the amp's loop.

Comment

Working...
                        X