Serious Firepower is on the way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Firepower is on the way.

As much as I love tubes and all the tonal goodness that comes with them, I've decided to move on, I think, at least at the house.

I've ordered an AMT M2 to pair with an also-on-the-way ElectroHarmonix Howitzer pedalboard power amp to get JCM800 tones at a more manageable level than my 50-Watt JCA-modded-to-JCM800 specs too-much-for-home-use beast.

The bonus is I get my Carbon Copy back as a usable option, since the infamous Soldano effects loop is no longer in play.

I find that my Marshall VS100 set on 25watt mode, with the Wampler Plexi Mini does just find in that area...

Looking forward to seeing a pic!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

FWIW, the EHX Howitzer looks to be an all-in-one pedalboard amp, the AMTs tend to work better with just a power amp since all the amp tone is built in the pedal. I would at least use the pedal out of the M2 if you are running it in to the front of the Howitzer, or better, run the preamp out of the M2 into the fx return jack of the Howitzer.
      Last edited by devastone; 06-01-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        FWIW, the EHX Howitzer looks to be an all-in-one pedalboard amp, the AMTs tend to work better with just a power amp since all the amp tone is built in the pedal. I would at least use the pedal out of the M2 if you are running it in to the front of the Howitzer, or better, run the preamp out of the M2 into the fx return jack of the Howitzer.
        My plan was to run into-front-of-amp-pedals (wah, drive, fuzz,, etc.) -> M2 in -> M2 Preamp Out -> effects loop pedals -> Howitzer Return -> out to cab. I'll just bypass the Howitzer preamp altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

My plan was to run into-front-of-amp-pedals (wah, drive, fuzz,, etc.) -> M2 in -> M2 Preamp Out -> effects loop pedals -> Howitzer Return -> out to cab. I'll just bypass the Howitzer preamp altogether.
          That works! That's the first I've seen of the Howitzer. I have a ISP Stealth preamp I use for that, of course, it is 180W cranked and it doesn't sound as good dialed back to soft bedroom levels. Technically is should sound the same, may be that the speaker isn't getting driven hard enough at those really low levels.

Comment

If you run a loop switcher pedal, with the M2 in one loop, and the preamp section of the Howitzer in the other loop, then the effects loop pedals between the output of the loop switcher and the effects return of the Howitzer, you will have three channels; the clean mode of the M2, the Howitzer set to a light crunch, and the main channel of the M2 set to rock.

Comment

As much as I love tubes and all the tonal goodness that comes with them, I've decided to move on, I think, at least at the house.

I've ordered an AMT M2 to pair with an also-on-the-way ElectroHarmonix Howitzer pedalboard power amp to get JCM800 tones at a more manageable level than my 50-Watt JCA-modded-to-JCM800 specs too-much-for-home-use beast.

The bonus is I get my Carbon Copy back as a usable option, since the infamous Soldano effects loop is no longer in play.
              Did you say FIREPOWER?

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

BTW, there is a pretty easy mod to adjust the loop levels, I even had to do that to my old HR 50+ (I loved that amp...).

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

BTW, there is a pretty easy mod to adjust the loop levels, I even had to do that to my old HR 50+ (I loved that amp...).
                  Tell me more... I've Googled around for that mod but always failed to find it.

Comment

I used to have it somewhere, but that was a long time ago and a few computers, I'm at work now, I'll do some googlin' while I eat lunch but may have to look at home tonight.

You have to lower the gain (level) to the send and pick it back up on the return, so, it may have some affect on the tone of the amp. All of Soldano's loops are the same so if you can find the mod for the SLO or the Hot Rod, it will be the same.
                    Last edited by devastone; 06-02-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Yes, yes.

Comment

I had about a twenty minute conversation today with Ed at Osiamo. I didn't realize they were the importers for the AMT pedals. Really, really good, down-to-earth guy, and I think he owns the company. When I come back to report on how good this thing sounds, I'm also going to recommend everyone here do business with them.

Comment

LOL, I've used the SS-11B, SS-30, SS-20, P2, E2, S2, and B2. I currently have a P2 and a B2, sold the others during some very lean times 3 - 4 years ago. They are all really good, the SS series are awesome. Of the Legend 2 series, the S2 is probably my favorite, followed by the P2, the B2 is interesting, not as smooth as the P2 and S2, but has a cool thing going on.

May hunt down an SS again and replace my GT-1K with a "real" pedalboard, except the GT is so easy to throw in a gig bag and go.

Comment

Tell me more... I've Googled around for that mod but always failed to find it.
                            It's noted on this SLO schematic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLO fx loop.PNG
Views:	187
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	6085499

Comment

I appreciate you finding that for me. I'll likely give it a shot. I have to wait until Monday before my M2 shows up.

Comment

Working...
                              X