banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is your Boss collection coming along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is your Boss collection coming along?

Lately I have been stuck on Boss pedals. Not sure why, maybe it is because the SD-1 blew me away with how good it is. I have always thought Boss pedals were very reliable and well designed, but I never gave them props for sound quality compared to other stuff that is out there. But that is changing. I have seven of them right now, three on order, and designs on a vintage piece or two, not to mention anything else that crosses my path while I have the money for it. I no longer have the CH-1, BD-2, PH-3, or CS-3, but I want to get them all again.

What Bosses to you have or want to have?

Click image for larger version  Name:	bruce-springsteen.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	6090048Click image for larger version  Name:	Boss Hogg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	6090049

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dilbert pointy boss.png Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	6090050
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Michael Scott.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	6090051

Click image for larger version  Name:	gracekelly-1-3-19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	6090054
    I am either a thirtysomething actress or a small farm animal.

Waza FRV-1.

Comment

I just have a CE-3 from the 80's and a TU tuner. All the old BOSS pedals I used to run through had some hiss so I've let them go over time. I can get the same sounds with less noise using other gear these days. If the reissues solve all that, it might be worth looking into BOSS again, mainly since the size is board-friendly, the pedal design has really nice action and protects the knob settings really well. Not sure I want to pay $100+ for any BOSS pedal. I liked them when they were $35-40 each, back in the day.

Edit: forgot, I have an NS-2 and a BF-2 flanger. I never use the flanger, still in box, and the NS just stays on the board (never change it) so I forgot.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 06-22-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I've always like Boss pedals and have been through a lot of 'em over the years:

Would consider buying again:
        DS-2, OD-3, OD-2, PS-2, PS-3, DM-2,

Still have:
        BD-2

I'm fine without:
        PH-3, MT-2, PSM-5, CE-5, CH-1, DD-5, AC-2, DSD-3, TR-2

Interested in trying:
        BD-2w, TB-2w
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

TU-3W waza tuner
          NS-2 noise suppressor
          LS-2 line selector
          PH-2 super phaser (both versions MIJ/T, and also both versions of the MIT being aca and psa powered)
          PH-3 phase shifter
          CS-3 compressor sustainer
          SD-1 super overdrive 40th on order
          HM-2 heavy metal (both original versions MIJ/T)
          HM-3 hyper metal
          MT-2 metal zone
          ML-2 metal core
          JB-2 angry driver
          DD-3 digital delay
          RV-6 reverb
          TR-2 tremolo (newest version with fixed volume lag))
          RC-3 loop station
          FS-5L latching switch
          FS-5u non-latching switch

Comment

Only three and they haven't been in active duty for years: SD-1, CS-3 and Multi Overtone I got in a trade. The MO looks gorgeous so it's a keeper though I have no use for an octave pedal,

I only use the SD-1 a few times since I got it in 2012 cause it sucks balls, like any other overdriven sound I ever come across.

Comment

I'd like to save some money by buying used pedals for some of these, but you almost never get the box with them. I want a box. Is that weird?

Comment

It's like this:

RC-30 looper
                FBM-1 Fender Bassman
                GE-7 EQ w/ AnalogMan mod
                SD-1 overdrive
                SD-1W Waza overdrive (on order)
                SD-1-4A 40th Anniversary overdrive (pre-order)
                DS-1 distortion, current production
                MT-2W Waza Metal Zone
                HM-2W Waza Heavy Metal (pre-order)
                CH-1 chorus (on order)
                DM-2W Waza analog delay

On the take for:
                Vintage DS-1
                Vintage SD-1
                BD-2W Waza Blues Driver
                CE-2W Waza chorus
                PH-3 phaser
                CS-3 compressor/sustainer
                DS-2 Turbo Distortion
                TR-2 tremolo
                RE-20 Space Echo delay/reverb
                Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
                  I'd like to save some money by buying used pedals for some of these, but you almost never get the box with them. I want a box. Is that weird?
                  I usually save boxes from smaller things, like pickups and pedals.

Four of my nine are Boss, a TU-2, GE-7, NS-2 and RV-5. The TU and GE see regular use. The NS if I'm using single coils into my Triple XXX. I haven't plugged the RV in since I sold half my stereo rig.
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I don't have many anymore. Just a GE-7 that I might modify, a DC-2w which I use sparingly with my acoustic guitar and an old DM-2 from the 80's.

The DM-2 is cool. I built a clone of it and use that a lot. I built a couple CE-2 clones too and they're great.

The buffers that Boss used to use, and their use of tantalum and electrolytic capacitors in the signal chain of a lot of their pedals prevent me from buying more.

You really can't deny the impact Boss has had on the gear market though. Pretty much everyone owns or used to own at least one.

Comment

If it's weird, then I'm weird too. I don't buy used pedals if they don't have the original box. That one detail has saved me more money than I can imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                        I don't have many anymore. Just a GE-7 that I might modify, a DC-2w which I use sparingly with my acoustic guitar and an old DM-2 from the 80's.

The DM-2 is cool. I built a clone of it and use that a lot. I built a couple CE-2 clones too and they're great.

The buffers that Boss used to use, and their use of tantalum and electrolytic capacitors in the signal chain of a lot of their pedals prevent me from buying more.

You really can't deny the impact Boss has had on the gear market though. Pretty much everyone owns or used to own at least one.
                        Tell me more about the tantalum and electrolytic capacitors?

Comment

They are typically noisy when compared to poly types. I assume a large part of what Analogman did to your GE-7 was to replace them with poly film caps to reduce the noise level.

Edited to add: There is nothing wrong with using tantalum or electrolytic capacitors in pedal building. However, in my opinion, those types should strictly be used in power supply circuits (where they do well) as opposed to the signal path where their limitations can adversely influence the guitar tone.
                          Last edited by Dudeman7; 06-22-2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

ive had a bunch over the years. at this point i think its just a tu3, oc2, and sd1. had a tu2 which worked fine but got stolen and a buddy replaced it with the 3. had some chorus and delays over the years but theyre all elsewhere now sadly. bought and sold a few sd1 over the years so im just keeping this one forever.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	gracekelly-1-3-19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	6090054
                              Good...
                              Very good...
                              Oh yes, you're an animal!
                              You're a lemur!

...and I'm spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X