Boss CS-3 vs. CP-1X compressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss CS-3 vs. CP-1X compressors?

Does anybody have experience with both of these compressors? Are there reasons for both of them to exist simultaneously in the lineup? I think it is fairly easy for a compressor to be terrible, so naturally I am trying to avoid that situation on my own pedalboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss CS-3 compressor pedal.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	6090755
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss CP-1X compressor pedal.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6090756
    I am either a thirtysomething actress or a small farm animal.

Those are different beasts.

If you do not trust your ears or understand ratio, get the standard CS-3. Neither is that hard to work with a little research on the actual knob function, but the CS3 is just "easier" for people who don't need the fancy

* Disclosure - never played a CP1X. Know enough about compressors though to advise.

CS3 -
    • Want the note to get squeezed (a predetermined amount) faster? Squash the nasty transients fast, Attack left. Want the attack to get in and then be squashed (if necessary at that point), attack right. It's the delay before the squash sets in. Short and long would be better labels.
    • Want the note to sustain naturally? Sustain to the left. Want to hold it up a little, or a lot longer? Sustain to the right.
    • Did squashing take the edge off? Use the tone control.
    • Did squashing impact the overall volume? Use the level.

CP1X is like look at meter while playing, adjust comp level to determine where compression starts, eyeball what you believe the ratio is to bring it to the target level of output, adjust the attack to get it there at the right time/fast enough, back to compression level to adjust if that is enough, review the comp level again, play and see if the input is comping properly based on the level indicator....lather rinse repeat and go crazy.

You want the CSX1 - ignore the little light show. Honestly, I think the CP1X is simultaneously a bit much and not enough.
    Last edited by Aceman; 06-25-2021, 06:13 AM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Oooh, now I want both! But are there other brands I should look at? Like Keeley, Wampler, JHS, or others?

Comment

The CS-3 is analog, the CP-1X is digital. I've used the CS-3, as Ace said, good, easy to use compressor, haven't tried the CP.

Comment

I kinda liked the CS-2 better than the CS-3. Haven't played the CP-1x, but it certainly looks interesting. The metal knobs with white dots are going to be really hard to see to adjust settings in the dark though.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The CS3 isn't 'transparent'- at any setting, you can hear (and feel) it on. It is a great pedal when you want to use a compressor as an 'effect' rather than to just gradually smooth transients.
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

What are some good compressors for when you want it musical and less obvious?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
                I use a Keeley 4-Knob, it's my "always on" pedal. I've also used a Wampler EGO in the past, right now the Keeley is on my main board...

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post

I use a Keeley 4-Knob, it's my "always on" pedal. I've also used a Wampler EGO in the past, right now the Keeley is on my main board...
                  How would you compare the two?

Comment

Alesis 3630 is transparent but it's a rack so won't help expand your Boss collection...lol. It's more for recording with the noise gate and ducking capability.

Comment

My experience with the CS-3 it only works for clean not distortion. And the sustain doesn't make the note ring longer but hold the compression longer. Maybe I am using it wrong I don't know...

Comment

the duncan vise grip is a great compressor that can be set to sound transparent. my first was stolen but i liked it so much i got another. keeley is well known for making a great compressor too

Comment

Duncan do not make the regular Vice Grip guitar compressor anymore, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
                            Any compressor with a blend knob will let you easily dial in less 'effect-y' sounding compression. I'm using an Xotic SP compressor now, and find it easy to get anywhere from light compression by using the blend.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Any compressor with a blend knob will let you easily dial in less 'effect-y' sounding compression. I'm using an Xotic SP compressor now, and find it easy to get anywhere from light compression by using the blend.
                              This is true. My favorite is one I had to build, a BYOC 5 Knob Compressor. I don't see the Vise Grip on the compressor page, but I think you can still find them new at dealers. That would be my #2. It is an exceptional, transparent compressor.
                              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Working...
                              X