joining the chorus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    I've been looking at the Q-zone for quite awhile, but can't I do the same thing or very close with a basic EQ pedal?

edit;
    Plus the silver EQ is true-bypass and the Q-zone has their stupid hardwire crap going on.
    It is pretty much a wah with a knob instead of a pedal to give the cocked wah sound ala Lifeson May, Walsh

Comment

Q-Zone vs EQ

Not really, but maybe. Depends on the EQ and the Wah. Q is the width of the frequency sweep. Different ways have different "widths" of sweep. Some wah pedals allow your to manipulate this (535Q - guess what the Q is for?)

If the EQ has enough slides at the right frequency, you could probably do it. Just the right center point, just the right slides to the left/right at just the right frequency. The thing is you'll probably never replicate your favorite wah with any guitar EQ. But you might do a decent approximation.

That Q lets you decide how wide, peak is the center frequency.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

From a technical standpoint, no an EQ can’t replicate the Wah/Q-Zone. If you look on a scope you’ll see a difference. (A single tunable filter vs multiple fixed filters) Can you simulate it close enough? It depends on how close you want it to be. If you are doing a filtered, bandpassed sound, the EQ can do it. If you are currently parking your Wah and getting the perfect frequency for feedback, etc. you are better off with the Q-Zone.

If this is a major part of your playing, I’d get the Q-Zone, if it’s experimental or an idea, the EQ has a ton of uses outside the band pass effect.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks for the explanations guys. I decided to get the Q-Zone too. (City Music Annex near Boston, ebay $109-shipped mint w/box/papers, one more left too btw)
          It's that boost in addition to the actual effect that really snagged me. I love soloing type effects that also have some level control built-in.
          Sort-of a compromise because I've always liked the sound of a wah, both rocking back and forth, and parked like the Q-Zone, but I've also never really wanted a big bulky ugly wah pedal.

With my LS-2 line selector it's easy to create small patches and then set the level how you want, but it's nice having individuals that can also do slight level-boost along with it's main effect.

Comment

Dave was the Q Zone delivered yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

It is pretty much a wah with a knob instead of a pedal to give the cocked wah sound ala Lifeson May, Walsh
              None of those guys (Alex Lifeson, Brian May, Joe Walsh) do the cocked wah thing.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

None of those guys (Alex Lifeson, Brian May, Joe Walsh) do the cocked wah thing.
                May’s knowledge of the appropriate usage for the huge layers of harmonies came in handy while writing guitar parts alongside the likes of Mercury and the rest of the band. My favorite technique May utilizes is called a Bell Chord, often referred to as a cascade. Often employed in big band horn arrangements and barbershop groups, it is simply a chord that is arpeggiated and staggered between instruments creating the famous “cascade” sound. May’s guitar lines would often exploit this effect, creating interesting guitar textures that were not often heard in rock.

More important than even his harmonies though, were the interesting usage of timbres to create unique harmonic effects. For instance, entire guitar harmonies would oftentimes be recorded with a wah pedal left in a fixed position for extra bright and over-the-top filtered musical textures. Sometimes, people mistake those guitar parts for trumpets or trombones. Combining this approach with Freddie Mercury’s playfully written music was part of the recipe for Queen’s unprecedented success.
                Brian May might well be the most interesting man in the world. We salute the Queen guitarist and astrophysicist in this month's Legends of Tone.

Comment

Dave was the Q Zone delivered yet?
                  Yep got them both actually and then like a dweeb didn't get to them over the weekend.
                  After work tonight I will give'm a go at least to check functionality, although they're both like new so I'm sure they'll work great.

Comment

For instance, entire guitar harmonies would oftentimes be recorded with a wah pedal left in a fixed position for extra bright and over-the-top filtered musical textures.
                    Ah, I forgot about the rackmount here:

His treblebooster also does a little honk. My Catalinbread Naga Viper (same DNA), the same.

But where are you getting the idea that Alex Lifeson or Joe Walsh do cocked wah?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

But where are you getting the idea that Alex Lifeson or Joe Walsh do cocked wah?
                      Alex - possibly solo on Red Barchetta, but I think that was some kind of filter without any sweep or a manual sweep.
                      Joe - Rocky Mountain Way has the sound, but that was a talkbox

Comment

Just had a good session with the Q-Zone and ZW Chorus.

I ran Guitar>PH-3>Q-Zone>6-band>Chorus>Amp(95 Dual, no loop pedals engaged)

The EQ could not even come close to mimicking the Q-Zone. Getting it as close as possible still sounded very bland in comparison, especially for hi-gain lead work.
                        The QZ is really a great pedal with more range on the Q and the P than I expected. Wow! I can't think of a better standard-sized single-effect pedal for sparking your leads.

The ZW Chorus was not really a surprise. It was awesome for clean/light-breakup.
                        For hi-gain it was cool but probably something I'd only use for occasional effect, but then again I need to play with it more and also try it in the loop before the delay.
                        For leads it was great in-front of the amp's dirt, a very good solo thickener,,,,,,,, but comparing it to the QZ the Chorus was a much more subtle enhancement.

This demo starts with the QZ and does a great rep of what you hear in-the-room while turning knobs. Very well done by those bloody Britts!
                        Brian May tone right off the bat! (I'm more into ZW and KK tone, but it's all great with this thing)

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Brian May tone right off the bat! (I'm more into ZW and KK tone, but it's all great with this thing)
                          Add a boost especially a treble boost (Rangemaster Clone) and some flange or chorus and Brian's sound is right in your pocket. Glad to hear you are enjoying your purchase.

Comment

Working...
                          X