Pedal design decision that send you 'round the bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal design decision that send you 'round the bend

I was looking at some tape echo style pedals online just now, and I saw something that provoked me to quick anger. It was a pedal with a row of tiny knobs, poorly labeled, each so close to the next that my sausage fingers would be hard pressed to adjust them properly. Make another row, guys. Buy a bigger enclosure. If your pedal sounds great, I will make room for it.

What pedal design decisions don't sit well with you?
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 07-06-2021, 04:15 AM.
    I have moderate bilateral hearing loss in the upper midrange and lower treble. I tend to think sounds are quieter, darker, and bassier than they probably really are.

Did it look like this?

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

No. It was more like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedal knob fail.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	6093601
      I have moderate bilateral hearing loss in the upper midrange and lower treble. I tend to think sounds are quieter, darker, and bassier than they probably really are.

Comment

Wow that IS tight!
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

^^^That an SD pedal? No comment required lol.

Comment

It is not an SD product. For whatever it is worth, I am never buying a pedal with a knob layout like that.

Comment

What about the ones with the knobs on the side

Or a 12ax7 sticking out the top

or two stomp buttons next to each other

That mini toggle next to the stomp switch
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah the knobs on the side thing is terrible IMO. (often just one knob, but still)

Comment

Battery compartments that require tools to access.
                  Mods that disrupt the original design aesthetic.
                  Power input jacks that are too close to signal I/O jacks.
                  Signal I/O jacks that are too close together to support fat cable ends.
                  Concentric pots that inadvertently move each other.
                  Control labeling that tries to be clever instead of concisely indicating the control's function.
                  Rubber feet held on with machine screws that won't tighten down and keep the foot from moving.
                  Bottom-panel protrusions that prevent a single layer of Velcro or other fastener from keeping the pedal in place on the board.
                  Failure to anticipate when a commonly used function should really have a dedicated footswitch or at least a remote switching option.

Comment

Any pedal that deviates from the AC jack norm. I hate proprietary power supplies & having to use a screwdriver to get to the battery. I don't like internal trimpots that are things you would access all the time. And I generally dislike side jacks.
                    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

My original RambleFX Marvel Drive has the worlds smallest Presence knob, but that's one of the most used knobs for me with a Marshall - I always tweak that when I change guitars. Fortunately for others, they fixed that on a later revision.

Old version (that I have)

New version (I wish I had)

Also, my MXR Chorus has all the knobs jammed (either needs smaller knobs, or bigger enclosure)

These days, they just put smaller knobs on, which is fine, I don't adjust chorus all that much. (But I don't have this one.)

By way of contrast, the original had PLENTY of room

Comment

Personally I hate top jacks. I've passed on two pedals this year because of them. I get why the "big board" folks like them, though.
                        I'm not crazy about power jacks on the side, though. Those should all be on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          Personally I hate top jacks. I've passed on two pedals this year because of them. I get why the "big board" folks like them, though.
                          I'm not crazy about power jacks on the side, though. Those should all be on top.
                          I agree on both counts. In fact I have not one single pedal with top-mounted signal jacks. I hate them that much!
                          The power-jack on the side I live with on quite a few, but IMO they're better on top, though I do understand that the design sometimes just doesn't allow for it.

Comment

Knobs on the side are genereally due to mods, aren't they? The only pedals that comes with it stock that I can think of are the Keely boost and those cheap Hotones.

Top mounted jacks are a great design feature IMHO, the problem being ofc that they clash with the old standards. Same reason we have old crappy legacy standards in electronics and so forth - everything was built a certain way and switching to something newer and better requires a massive, systemic overhaul.

Side mounted power jacks are my pet peeve though. Esp placed so close to the jacks you run into trouble using an angled barrel. Looking at you, MXR!

Battery jacks without a quick access slot sucks too. Again, legacy BS. At Least TC simplified things with their large cetner screw. Then again, who the hell still uses batteries for their pedals?

Super slippery pots that go spinning as soon as you nudge them with your foot. Can easily be solved with rubber o-rings but it's still a hassle.

****ty latching footswitches that has no resistance for the first 80% of their travel and then push back like US politicians against universal healthcare. EHX, your hands are anything but clean!

Machine-soldered footswitches that can't be replaced without damaging the PCB copper traces underneath.

--------------------------------------------------------
                            1973 Aria 551
                            1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                            1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                            1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                            1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                            1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                            2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I got an SD Dirty Deeds from a trade. I reckon the designer was on crack for cramming input/ output jacks and power supply jack all on the top side, leaving lots of real estate on the sides. Not to mention the super small EQ knobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X