No announcement yet.

Pedal design decision that send you 'round the bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few of the duncan pedals have similar features. big knobs, and small knobs, with in/out/power on top. i dont mind that at all actually

Comment

I hate the tiny knobs. I am not adjusting the tint on a 19-inch TV from the 1980s.
      I have moderate bilateral hearing loss in the upper midrange and lower treble. I tend to think sounds are quieter, darker, and bassier than they probably really are.

Comment

Tough to say, cuz I'm far more into what the pedal sounds like rather than knob twiddling satisfaction.

I typically adjust to whatever design.

If there were anything, It would probably be plastic casing or cheap switches; stuff that can break easy.
        Last edited by LLL; 07-06-2021, 12:35 PM.
        LLL's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

RigTalk FoS Forum

My Soundcloud

"Online guitar poseurs can't hide forever"

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
          I got an SD Dirty Deeds from a trade. I reckon the designer was on crack for cramming input/ output jacks and power supply jack all on the top side, leaving lots of real estate on the sides. Not to mention the super small EQ knobs.
          I kinda like all the jacks on top. The issue is that a lot of cables won't fit there, so you have to get cables with smaller jacks. But it allows pedals to be closer together on a board.
          Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Shiny chrome knobs are a pet peeve of mine. Can't see the damned settings under anything but the best lighting conditions:
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Designers try to make as much pedal as possible in as little of an enclosure as possible because guitar players want room on their pedalboards. If they make a bigger pedal then the other half of the guitar community will say the pedal is too big and be upset over its size...lol.

If it sounds good and is built well, I am happy with it. Some pedals controls are tighter than I may like but ultimately, they are still easily adjustable so I adapt and move on.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Granted, I haven't used a newer one, but I don't understand Visual Sound/TrueTone moving away from the footswitches they were using with their V2 pedals. I think someone here said there was an issue with the supplier, but those are the best on any pedal I've ever switched on.

Comment

I never liked the DOD 'barely touch' vintage switches, much less the 1/8" power jacks. To be fair, they put those jacks in before there was any kind of standard.
                  Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

1) Graphics: I love how artistic and beautiful many pedals have gotten, but some are so graphically intense that reading the knob functions becomes difficult. That's a bit excessive, IMO. Same with fonts that are so small the letters are merely suggestive.

2) Lack of presets on pedals that have more than a handful of knobs/switches. I realize this isn't a feasible request in every instance, but some pedals are so complex that being able to return to a sound you like after you make a few tweaks can be a real challenge.

3) Non-standard power requirements: I'm looking at you, EHX! Many of their pedals operate best on 9.6V power, which is why they always come with a dedicated power supply. This is fine if you want a bunch of EHX-branded wall warts cluttering your space, but it doesn't make sense in a world where so many things have become standardized. I realize you can power most EHX pedals with a regular 9V supply, but they typically don't sound quite as good as they do with the recommended 9.6V setup!

Knob styles and sizes are an easy swap on most pedals, so that's not a deal-breaker for me. I do agree with GuitarStv that chrome knobs are the worst "color" functionally

As for top-mounted jacks, I'm growing to like them. Switching to the "pancake" style patch cables served me well and the top-mount design allows me to fit more pedals on my small board. I'm not sure I understand the perceived benefit of traditional side-mounted jacks. If you're trying to save space, they just get in the way and it's not like every mfr bothers to put them in the same place.

Comment

I love going between side-mount jacks on one pedal and top-mount jacks on the one next to it. Good times.
                      I have moderate bilateral hearing loss in the upper midrange and lower treble. I tend to think sounds are quieter, darker, and bassier than they probably really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
                        I love going between side-mount jacks on one pedal and top-mount jacks on the one next to it. Good times.
                        That is the only reason I don't like them! If all pedals were top-jack I'd be happy, but all my current pedals are side-jack so no toppers for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X