banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Always-On Dirt Pedal (for me)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the ethos sounded good in the clips but ya really need to use it with your rig before you know for sure. i love timmy, its my favorite od but id doesnt really change the character of what you have going on, which is why i love it. again, the dls is a very marshally thing if you are still going down that road.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
      Have you considered the Zen Drive (or clone)? There are also a couple Dumble In Box pedals that might give you something different than what you already have.

Also, I recently discovered a company called Dirty Haggard Audio. They make a pedal called the "797" which is a modified, finely tuned variation on the DOD 250 circuit. The 797 is handwired in the US, sounds fantastic through the whole gain range and costs about $70.00 new. Game changer pedal for me and I really like that it has a different character than the typical TS, Klon or Blusebreaker pedals many people use for low gain OD.
      The Zen is next on my list. I like what the Zen models sound like in my Fractal and HX Effects..a little like a fatter Klon. It certainly is touch sensitive, and a different sound from most TS-based pedals.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Rat and TS both tickle my fancy for this purpose. I'm not very adventurous with pedals... but these work.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Right now, I am experimenting with models...a Timmy model and a King of Tone model, both which do a really good job. Next thing is to compare these to the actual pedals. I tried an OCD (real and model) and it was a little heavier than I like.

Comment

I haven't had the extensive experience with MIAB pedals that a lot of had, but I usually find they have far too much gain for me. I used a Plexitone prototype that Niels sent me, and I had to have to gain set really low, but it was a glorious sound with a really effective volume boost for solos. For me, it's a fabulous 'grab-and-go' pedal if I can't take a pedalboard, and gives that great Marshall sound no matter what I put it through.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

i love the kot clean setting, its very open and uncompressed but to sound its best, imnsho, it needs the output and gain up a fair amount. as an always on thing, thats not an issue though. not super marshally but a great dynamic dirty tone.

Comment

Just tossing this out there, but Caline has a nice budget-oriented KOT clone...

https://www.amazon.com/Caline-CP-70-.../dp/B0823J84XZ

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  Just tossing this out there, but Caline has a nice budget-oriented KOT clone...

https://www.amazon.com/Caline-CP-70-.../dp/B0823J84XZ
                  That's what I am lookin' for! A cheap way to get into the boutique sounds. I'll see if there are any kits out there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That's what I am lookin' for! A cheap way to get into the boutique sounds. I'll see if there are any kits out there, too.
                    That whole lineup looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I did. My initial thought is that it *does* clean up well. The base tone isn't significantly different than what I already have access to, though. In other words, it is a good overdrive pedal, but not transformative. I haven't decided if I am going to keep it yet.
                      I'm in the same boat with the Xotic SL Drive. I like it but it's not overwhelming for me so I think I'm gonna send it back and get an EP Booster for leads if my DIY Mosfet Booster doesn't do the trick (but it should).

Edit: My DIY booster has a flaky switch so I'll be looking at a few other options. The Wamper db+ is one along with the EP Booster.
                      Last edited by ErikH; 08-04-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

EHX Glove

Comment

Revisiting this and looking (again) at the descriptors, I would look for a JTM45 type pedal.

When my amp was a '66 JTM45 (modded to), it was very touch-sensitive, super chimey with the requisite Marshall bite. Turn down and you get some of the best tube amp cleans ever; rivals Fender.

Cranked JTM45 tones? Try Clapton with Cream. Of course, don't need to crank it.

JHS Charlie Brown (not the Angry Charlie) - the yellow colored one, is supposed to be a JTM45 in a box; but I've never tried it.

J Rockett .45

ZVex Box Of Rock, too.

There are several others...
                          Last edited by LLL; 01-09-2022, 09:24 PM.

Comment

For me, the always on dirt is a Klon style because you always have an element of the clean mixed in with the Hard Clipping

But if your looking plexi-ish - maybe try the Tonebone British with a 12AX7 -Radial Engineering tends to get things very right and you can get one for 60-90 bucks used.

plus theres way more voicing/tone sculpting on this to mess with

Ive never tried one BTW

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thought this sounded PDG (J Rockett .45)

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/FX1wQ9The Rockett .45 Caliber is an overdrive that emulates the sound and feel of a 1962 JTM 45. The gain knob runs the full gamut of...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                                Thought this sounded PDG (J Rockett .45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhfHvciPYkU
                                Excellent small company -they answer the phone BTW -that counts a lot in my book
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X