MXR Custom Badass Modified OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Custom Badass Modified OD

Will be here tomorrow (also coming my way is the BYOC Yellow Overdrive).

Did some research - this is actually a modified MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive (which is based off of the BOSS SD-1); asymmetrical clipping.

Since I'm doing the BYOC Yellow Overdrive (original BOSS OD-1 circuit), I thought I'd do a SD-1 type too. Was going to go for the 40th Anniversary SD-1, but changed my mind and went with the bells n whistles MXR CBMOD.

One use for this I've determined is the front of my '66 Fender Deluxe - I actually do not have any OD/Dists picked for use with the Fender, 'til now.
    Last edited by LLL; 07-20-2021, 02:00 PM.

Nice. I had a ZW Overdrive for a while. It's amazing in front of a Marshall. Now, in front of a Deluxe, try a Rat. I didn't think it would sound good but to my surprise it was fantastic.

Comment

It's here, although I have yet to plug it in.

Doesn't anyone else have experience with this OD?

Comment

I owned one for a day or two. I thought it would sound exactly like me MXR Classic OD but allow me to choose how much lows stay or go. I was wrong, so I flipped it for a small profit. It was a perfectly good od, just wasn't what I wanted at that moment.

Comment

Isn't this like a simpler version of the Green Rhino?

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
            Isn't this like a simpler version of the Green Rhino?
            I did lots of research on it (it does say "modified OD", so it's gotta come from somewhere).

A good amount of regular schmoes were saying it's Tubescreamer variant this or that.

But a pedal cloning/modding forum took a look at the actual circuit and compared it to the MXR Zakk Wylde OD, and said it was almost exact except for a couple things.

And the MXR Zakk Wylde OD is simply a modded BOSS SD-1 circuit.

So the baseline here is the BOSS SD-1

Comment

It’s said that if you buy a custom shop gt-1, I think it is, there is a switch on the bottom of the board that changes it to the ZW-44. Realize he runs it into a ton of Marshall, but I’ve played, and have, more distorted overdrives. I like it, I just don’t love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh BTW, this stomp kicks ass.

It has BOSS SD-1 DNA, so it should.

Killer Marshall boost (have yet to try my Fender blackface); it's kinda similar to how a Klon perfectly EQs your tone (plus clipping if you add drive) especially in the crucial midrange; the difference being the Klon circuit is a little more "polished" sounding.

Comment

Working...
                X