Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running various OD/fuzz/Dist pedals on 7,5V

Hello,

I got a multi-purpose adaptor that can step down from 9, to 7,5, 6 and 3 volts.

I was wondering if it is safe to try run my OD/dist/Fuzz boxes;

-EHX Allied Overdrive
    -EHX Octavix
    -Joyo Ultimate Drive

on 7,5 volts instead of 9?

Just asking.

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

It won't hurt them, but they may or may not work. Only way to know is to try.

Comment

Okay

I might give it a shot tomorrow;
      -and post back results.

I was hoping to get some... maybe interesting effects; especially from the EHX'es.

(and don't worry, I won't try to run them at higher voltages. Even though the adaptor goes to 12v.)

\m/

-E ♪
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

7.5vdc is totally fine. some pedals sound good that way, some sound bad

Comment

Yes, it is called "sagging" the voltage. Like others have said some pedals sound great others like absolute crap. Be prepared for some lofi sounds ala Jack White or Dan Auerbach

Comment

The switch below the "Octave" control on the Octavix is actually an internal voltage toggle between 9V and 24V. It's designed to sound "sagged" on regular 9V power, so I'm curious what starving it further would do!

Comment

(PS: admin; code is being cracked)

Still haven't tried it in practice, friends;

(indeed, security token invalid- but. In all ... respect. Last time, i fried my friends pedal,. because I used an adaptor , with me having turned the polarity the wrong way. Being this confused, helps me understand, that- THAT! is sure to be in order before any experiment! \m/ (all hails! ) ♪

-Erlend

Comment

Thanks everybody!

...i first made sure, the polarity was right. "Sure thing", like harmony in nature; i found the thread about right/wrong polarity in pedals. My adjustable power supply is now set to the same polarity as the rest of my supplies (and my 9V batteries & connectors)-

Just tried it with the Joyo Ultimate Drive, i got from a USA, SDUGF friend as a gift (Thank you very much man, sorry I can't remember your name right now!)

...not because it was a cheap pedal- it was a gift! But also, yoyo is a great brand, and it didn't come with a supply.

ANYWAYS!

On 7.5 volts it is actually LOUDER! In amplification, than before,. It has less distortion, but seems to hit my power tubes harder, at a lower volume.
                "It's just like the fuzz pedal I wish I had"

Great success!

I'm still with caution with the rest of my gear for now. It's Friday , and I'm just having a beer to relax...

Rock on guys! \m/ ♪

-E

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  The switch below the "Octave" control on the Octavix is actually an internal voltage toggle between 9V and 24V. It's designed to sound "sagged" on regular 9V power, so I'm curious what starving it further would do!
                  Have you (or others) heard the octave-down that I've heard, when turning the 24/9v switch over? (it lasts just a short while,. sounds like caps discharging)

(would be a great mod to have switchable on/off for that octave down!! )

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                    Thanks everybody!

...i first made sure, the polarity was right. "Sure thing", like harmony in nature; i found the thread about right/wrong polarity in pedals. My adjustable power supply is now set to the same polarity as the rest of my supplies (and my 9V batteries & connectors)-

Just tried it with the Joyo Ultimate Drive, i got from a USA, SDUGF friend as a gift (Thank you very much man, sorry I can't remember your name right now!)

...not because it was a cheap pedal- it was a gift! But also, yoyo is a great brand, and it didn't come with a supply.

ANYWAYS!

On 7.5 volts it is actually LOUDER! In amplification, than before,. It has less distortion, but seems to hit my power tubes harder, at a lower volume.
                    "It's just like the fuzz pedal I wish I had"

Great success!

I'm still with caution with the rest of my gear for now. It's Friday , and I'm just having a beer to relax...

Rock on guys! \m/ ♪

-E
                    I am glad it works for you. I get a feeling both of us like some of the same lo-fi tones.

Comment

Working...
                    X