X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-18 volt center negative

I just got a friedman smallbox pedal.

Instruction card reads "9-18 volt center negative"

Does that mean it is safe to use with my typical 9v powersupply?

Please let me know. Thank you. And, yes, i'm paraoid. Fried a pedal years ago. Lesson learned: better to be safe
    Last edited by Open lane; 07-28-2021, 10:43 AM.

thats what it says

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, it's fine with a normal boss type power supply but you can also connect it to a 12 or 18 volt supply (which will usually give the circuit more headroom).
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Ah ok. Thank you guys. Just wasn't sure if it meant 9 through 18 or if 9-18 was a separate thing. Got it!

THANK YOU.

Comment

Ehdwuld, i see that on the site, now that you pointed out. Instruction card did not. Thank you for helping.

Comment

Just about all power supplies have a diagram showing if it is center negative or center positive.

Comment

I took a center positive to Canada for my quarantine rig It wanted a center negative
              and no batteries

It was a long quarantine
              EHD

Comment

If i plug a positive (power supply) into a negative pedal... or a negative (power supply) into a positive (pedal), will i be fried? Or will there just be no sound?

Comment

I think the center positive pedal only takes male plug like old DODs, so it's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                    I think the center positive pedal only takes male plug like old DODs, so it's impossible.
                    Yeah, some old Big Muffs and Rats had a male center pin positive too I believe.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                      I just got a friedman smallbox pedal.

Instruction card reads "9-18 volt center negative"

Does that mean it is safe to use with my typical 9v powersupply?

Please let me know. Thank you. And, yes, i'm paraoid. Fried a pedal years ago. Lesson learned: better to be safe
                      It's a great question -basically everything since the 90s (and all of the Boss, Mxr stuff from the 80s) uses the standard 2.1mm single center pin style DIN connection is center pin negative for guitar pedals -so if it's a power supply that comes with a pedal that is the standard you are good. If you buy another generic power supply (not made for sale with pedals) you need to check

The other 2 factors

Voltage (usually 9 Volts on Analog pedals (sometimes 18 on compressors etc) and Regular sized digital pedals, then often 12 or 18, 24 volts on heavy digital effects and especially workstation pedals

and Milliamps rating on the power supply -usually power supplies are 50-250 mA for regular analog and digital pedals and anything from 300mA to 1 Amp for big stuff like workstations.

The good news is most pedals have protection against big voltage mismatches, and a pedal will run a little hot if the voltage is low because it's needing to draw more current or vice versa and it wont get hurt.

So if you are not using the power supply that came with your pedal -look up the voltage and current (MilliAmp) rating and make sure your supply voltage is the same as the pedal AND the current rating of the power supply is equal or even BETTER bigger than your pedals requirements -example -if pedal is rated for 50 mA - get a supply that's 100mA or bigger -you always want some headroom.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Usually they have a resistor that prevents reverse damage

Super cheap.pedal may not. But who cares

I have gotten power supplies from Amazon
                        With center positive

The Ammonn rockpod thing had a center positive power supply
                        awould work with either one
                        this is where i got the wrong cable

My mooer PE100 didn't want a center positive

They come either way
                        Look on the device and the power supply
                        Match them up

Pay attention to the amp draw as well
                        If you have say a digital delay
                        It may need more than the half amp that standard wall warts supply
                        EHD

Comment

What i see-

Is- that the half circle (that covers halfway over the minus sign) - implies a negative center.

(i might be wrong. double check! )

-Erl

EDIT: I accidentally fried my bandmates Sansamp pedal, by switching over to the wrong polarity. :/ I would think it's certainly best to be very sure. )
                          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                            What i see-

Is- that the half circle (that covers halfway over the minus sign) - implies a negative center.

(i might be wrong. double check! )

-Erl

EDIT: I accidentally fried my bandmates Sansamp pedal, by switching over to the wrong polarity. :/ I would think it's certainly best to be very sure. )
                            Correct. The negative is “inside” the center.
                            If it had a plus sign inside the half circle, it would represent a center positive plug.

Comment

as in here

top center positive
                              bottom center negative

EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X