New Strymon Pedal - Zelzah Phaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Strymon Pedal - Zelzah Phaser

Strymon Just introduced its newest pedal, the Zelzah! It is a multidimensional phaser.

Zelzah contains your favorite phaser, flanger and chorus pedal sounds, as well as some we've never heard before. Get product info, specs and sounds here.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

First off, I like Strymon a lot, I’ve got quite a few.

Secondly, I saw the promo and the leak that they’d have a dual phaser coming out soon. I was surprised that they’d release a stand alone phaser, I have to imagine the chorus and flanger aren’t huge sellers based on board pics I’ve seen.

I just watched the video live, and I’m a bit disappointed that it really is just a dual phaser. I’ve had crazy analog phasers that did what this does 15 years ago. Something like the Deco is unique, creative and fresh. This is just kind of meh to me.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You could buy a Walrus Audio Lillian, an MXR Phase 90 and an EHX Small Stone for what the Strymon costs.

Can't say that I see the value with the Strymon. Still, I'm curious to know just how good it sounds.
      Last edited by Dudeman7; 08-24-2021, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
        You could buy a Walrus Audio Lillian, an MXR Phase 90 and an EHX Small Stone for what the Strymon costs.

Can't say that I see the value with the Strymon. Still, I'm curious to know just how good it sounds.
        Well it does chorus and flanger too kind of, along with envelope and barber pole. But I agree, any one of the above plus $250 would be preferable for me.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have the Lillian and the small stone and various iterations of the MXR Phaser pedal and none of them do what the Strymon does. Is it worth the cash to each individual? I can't decide that for anybody but myself, HOWEVER, if you are into what the pedal offers and are capable of working the pedal to get all it has to offer out of it then it is probably well worth the money. If you rarely use the effect then a used MXR pedal for 40 bucks will do you proper if and when you do use the effect. I haven't deep dived my Mobius in every possible way so I don't know if it covers all this pedal does. I would doubt it. I was surprised it was not $299 list like their other similar sized box pedals. Either way, I am sure a lot of people will enjoy it and be happy that Strymon made it.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

While phaser is my favorite modulation type, the sound I like is pretty simple. 4 stages, at a pretty slow speed. I have used super phasers before, but I found myself dialing the sound of my Small Stone on all of them.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lot of great sounds, but I would only use that capability in a studio rack device, not a guitar pedal on my board.

Comment

Don't call me Strymon. I won't call you....

Click image for larger version

Name:	4MxsPis.jpg?2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	6106634
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  While phaser is my favorite modulation type, the sound I like is pretty simple. 4 stages, at a pretty slow speed. I have used super phasers before, but I found myself dialing the sound of my Small Stone on all of them.
                  I think on a lot of these effects we gravitate to what we started out on and don't meander too far off that path. I know I don't.

Comment

I did some more reading and listening and this pedal does an awful lot of stuff. The key with these more complex pedals is how far/deep the user is willing to go into the pedal to utilize its capabilities. If you are only scratching the sound surface then it probably will come off as overpriced and not for you. If you are capable (I'm likely not) of extracting every nuance this thing has to offer then it is probably a steal. As complex as a lot of this stuff can get, I think most of us gravitate to a few sounds we like and use a few options on the effects we like and call it a day. I know I am guilty of not fully utilizing some of the features on the pedals I have purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

I think on a lot of these effects we gravitate to what we started out on and don't meander too far off that path. I know I don't.
                      With things like delay pedals...I use them in all sorts of ways and work hard to extract all sorts of ungodly things from them. I never wanted to do it with a phaser, chorus, or a wah, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                        I did some more reading and listening and this pedal does an awful lot of stuff. The key with these more complex pedals is how far/deep the user is willing to go into the pedal to utilize its capabilities. If you are only scratching the sound surface then it probably will come off as overpriced and not for you. If you are capable (I'm likely not) of extracting every nuance this thing has to offer then it is probably a steal. As complex as a lot of this stuff can get, I think most of us gravitate to a few sounds we like and use a few options on the effects we like and call it a day. I know I am guilty of not fully utilizing some of the features on the pedals I have purchased.
                        That's a good point and something that I realized a long time ago. I'm guilty of not realizing the full potential of some effects too.

However, effects pedals are just tools for me and a lot of the appeal of having a pedal board is that I can just step on a switch, that effect turns on and does what I need it to do. Never really liked getting down and changing settings. If a single pedal doesn't do what I need it to, I swap it out for one that will.

Pedals like the Strymon kind of insure that there is at least one setting that I would use, so there's that. There are also likely to be many settings that would be wasted on someone like me. In my experience, whizz bang, do it all pedals are seldom worth the complexity and cost.

Without having heard one in person, I can't say that this thing isn't awesome, though. It very likely is and it is definitely cool that Strymon has done some different things with this phaser.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

With things like delay pedals...I use them in all sorts of ways and work hard to extract all sorts of ungodly things from them. I never wanted to do it with a phaser, chorus, or a wah, though.
                          Delays are a whole different ballgame...lol.

Comment

Maybe I should try this phaser. But I haven't even tried the Polaron yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X