Just had a revelation - TC Electronic Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had a revelation - TC Electronic Spark

I originally got the full-size TC Spark to boost my 5150III's blue channel. I always felt the blue channel was cool, just not gainy enough for what I want. So I didn't want to change the core tone of the blue channel, especially since it's already pretty tight in itself.

I was disappointed. With the gain on 0 and the level cranked, it barely reached unity gain. It wasn't really boosting... like... at all. So in order to actually get more gain, I had to raise the gain control on the pedal. At that point, it was just really working as a very clear and transparent overdrive. Not really what I wanted, TBH.

But it never occurred to me to use it in front of the red channel. I never thought the red channel needed a boost. In fact, all of my TS-style overdrive pedals just took away from it: They either made it too tight to the point of being thin or squashed any life out if it (or both).

I usually like my tones boosted, but I learned to live with the red channel since it was already pretty tight and squishy without any overdrive.

But today, I thought I'd try the Spark in front of the red channel. I mean, what harm can it do, right?

Damn! Gain on 0, level maxed, bass and treble at 12 o'clock, and it adds this sort of juicy squishy tightness that I didn't expect! It's more subtle than a Tube Screamer, and it doesn't completely neuter the bass, but it does tighten up the sound, and it adds just a hint of compression that is very pleasant, even on an over-the-top compressed EVH red channel.

So all in all, I definitely recommend 5150III users to try the Spark in front of the red channel for a subtle yet definite improvement, IMO.

#truth

Comment

I guess, LOL. It's not really that intuitive running a boost pedal that doesn't really boost.

Comment

Every time I've tried putting a drive pedal in front of the 5153 it has just made it sound worse.

But full-size Spark in the FX loop of that bad boy, now there's a thing of beauty.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

It is in these situations that EQ pedals can be a better choice than a boost/overdrive, etc. The right pedal helps but it all comes down to personal preference, amp, desired tone, cab, speakers, music style, pickups, playing style/technique, volume you play at, etc. Everything matter and a lot of the time it is more about feel and response than anything.

The Suhr KoKo boost is a nice pedal if you want subtle change in all the right ways without losing amp characteristics.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
          X