This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    I for one have noticed some loss in fundamental tone when using too many buffered effects in the path. Starts sounding thinner when you get more than a few IMO.

The common theme of using a couple in the front-end that are strategically-placed is probably the best policy.

If you use the amp's loop and have long cables going to and from then use another buffered model at the beginning and/or at the end of the loop.

Just a hunch here, but I'd bet the cheapo $20 pedals do not have the same buffers as the Boss models. Never compared them myself though.

Waza buffers are improved MIJ versions, and the waza tuner has the buffer/bypass switch so it's very useful beyond just tuning and setting intonation. Great first-in-line pedal.
    The waza delay makes a great last-in-line pedal, especially if your amp has reverb.

to that end
    a Boss noise suppressor which would be end of line in both front and loop would take care of two sections at once

I may need to get one of those just for the buffer
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

I posted the signal path in three posts in this thread

I realize no one reads the title or the whole thread before offering opinions

Thanks again
      Well, captain sarcasm, I’ve been back though your posts to see what I missed.
      You mentioned:
      ”cables and a ton of pedals”
      ”a tuner and a fuzz first”
      Boss DS-1
      ”some Behringer reverbs and such I can stick at the end of the line before it hits the front of the amp”
      a Biyang Tri Reberb

then in the second post:
      an “old script orange phaser”

then in the third post:
      ”So tuner then fuzz then some boost or the Boss DS-1”

then later:
      ”long cheap braided cables”
      ”20ft George L cable”

So, to summarise, your signal path is:

presumably an electric guitar;
      a tuner of unknown type;
      a fuzz of unknown type;
      a Boss DS-1, or possibly “some boost”;
      ”some Behringer reverbs and such” that you “can” stick in the signal path before the front of the amp, but maybe don’t;
      you own a Biyang Tri Reverb that may or may not be part of the rig;
      an “old script orange phaser” might perhaps be involved;
      “long cheap braided cables” of unknown number and a “20ft George L cable” are probably involved, no mention of patch cables though;
      an amp of some kind, with presumably all the pedals in front of it and none in the effects loop (if there is one).

Added to that, we don’t know how much the tone is affected by the signal travelling through all of those pedals and cables (both of indeterminate number) between the guitar and the amplifier, because you “are aware of how to plug in your gear”, even though knowing how much the tone is affected would help people discuss whether or not you needed a buffer, or help other people diagnose whether they might need a buffer, or whether or their tone is fine with the setup they have.

Your original post was about testing whether or not pedals have true bypass or buffers, but you won’t tell us which pedals you’re actually using to let us help you find out if they’re buffered, and you won’t tell us how much your tone is affected by running through your pedals and cables, so we don’t know if you do need any extra buffers or not.
      We also don’t know if your tone actually sound worse without buffers (you might find there’s more treble than you want if you add buffers in), and we don’t know which pedals with buffers to suggest, because we don’t actually know which pedals you’re using, what sort of effects you might want to add, which pedals you own but might want to upgrade, etc.

But I guess I must be the one who’s in the wrong by trying to prompt this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

Well, captain sarcasm, I’ve been back though your posts to see what I missed.
        You mentioned:
        ”cables and a ton of pedals”
        ”a tuner and a fuzz first”
        Boss DS-1
        ”some Behringer reverbs and such I can stick at the end of the line before it hits the front of the amp”
        a Biyang Tri Reberb

then in the second post:
        an “old script orange phaser”

then in the third post:
        ”So tuner then fuzz then some boost or the Boss DS-1”

then later:
        ”long cheap braided cables”
        ”20ft George L cable”

So, to summarise, your signal path is:

presumably an electric guitar;
        a tuner of unknown type;
        a fuzz of unknown type;
        a Boss DS-1, or possibly “some boost”;
        ”some Behringer reverbs and such” that you “can” stick in the signal path before the front of the amp, but maybe don’t;
        you own a Biyang Tri Reverb that may or may not be part of the rig;
        an “old script orange phaser” might perhaps be involved;
        “long cheap braided cables” of unknown number and a “20ft George L cable” are probably involved, no mention of patch cables though;
        an amp of some kind, with presumably all the pedals in front of it and none in the effects loop (if there is one).

Added to that, we don’t know how much the tone is affected by the signal travelling through all of those pedals and cables (both of indeterminate number) between the guitar and the amplifier, because you “are aware of how to plug in your gear”, even though knowing how much the tone is affected would help people discuss whether or not you needed a buffer, or help other people diagnose whether they might need a buffer, or whether or their tone is fine with the setup they have.

Your original post was about testing whether or not pedals have true bypass or buffers, but you won’t tell us which pedals you’re actually using to let us help you find out if they’re buffered, and you won’t tell us how much your tone is affected by running through your pedals and cables, so we don’t know if you do need any extra buffers or not.
        We also don’t know if your tone actually sound worse without buffers (you might find there’s more treble than you want if you add buffers in), and we don’t know which pedals with buffers to suggest, because we don’t actually know which pedals you’re using, what sort of effects you might want to add, which pedals you own but might want to upgrade, etc.

But I guess I must be the one who’s in the wrong by trying to prompt this discussion?
        thank you for clarifying that
        yes you are correct I have an non distinct path with unknown tuners and fuzzes not that it matters as they are before any buffers right

at the moment it is
        a twenty 10 foot Chromecast blue cable with a modified silent plug on the guitar side
        a Donner mini pedal Tuner
        into a Caline snake bite reverb
        into a behringer UM300
        into the front of the amp

but dude that changes about three times a day
        every time I turn the amp on I change the pedals to the pedal of the day

I am trying to develop a pedal order with some consistency

a proper order to put the pedals in so that the chain does not dictate whether the pedal sounds bad or not

some days the pedal o the day sounds great
        some days it doesnt
        it may be the other pedals on the board that are affecting that
        how would I know

thank you for telling me to plug directly into my amp
        like I'm an idiot

thank you again for getting butthurt when I take offense to being called an idiot

thank you again for pointing out how much wiser you are than every other idiot on the internet

now lets move on from this and get back on topic

EHD

Comment

I’m not sure where I called you an idiot, if you can show me where I did I will apologise.

I didn’t tell you to plug directly in to your amp, I advised you to compare the sound when you plugged your guitar directly into your amp vs when you sent your signal through all of your pedals with them turned off. This is a method that I’ve seen used multiple times to demonstrate the effects of pedals on signal, and to help people decide if they need to add more buffers.

I don’t think someone call tell whether or not they need more buffers if they don’t have a reasonably fixed pedal board.

I’m sure you will ignore what I’m trying to say, perhaps you’d be more open to other people’s words?

buffer, guitar pedal, impedance, line driver, analogman, effects

Guitar Effects Pedals made in Kansas City USA.

That last one from the JHS site contain the following:
          ”Does your clean tone sound weak through your pedal board compared to going directly into your amp?”

Comment

thats enough
            EHD

Comment

Working...
            X