Parallel signal chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel signal chains

Anyone running parallel signal chains? I'm looking into some different options for doing this. I play into a FRFR setup so I'm thinking it would need to be something like this:
    Guitar to splitter, splitter to Chain #1 and Chain #2
    Chain #1 - dirty
    Chain #2 - clean with FX
    Both Chains' outputs to a "combiner"... is this a thing? What's it actually called?
    "Combiner" to amp

I really want to get something like this going, and am debating some of these things. Are there pros and cons to digital vs analog? How do you arrange FX - like do you want 2 wahs, 2 compressors, etc or are some effects just "Master FX"?

Just some thoughts, and I welcome any opinions and experiences with parallel signal chains!
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

I've done this on my Fractal, especially if I want both sounds panned differently, or if I have a piezo bridge pickup in a guitar. I have also done it with a rack system. I think with conventional pedals and amps, though, it would be more trouble than it is worth (and twice as much gear to carry to a gig).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It should be easy to do "in the box" with a Helix, GT-1000, Headrush, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        It should be easy to do "in the box" with a Helix, GT-1000, Headrush, etc...
        Generally, these are only limited by the available DSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Generally, these are only limited by the available DSP.
          The GT has the most processing hp of those 3, can't speak to Fractal or similar.

Comment

Here is kind of a budget work-up of how to do it analog.

This would take the guitar input and split it into 2 signals: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...switcher-pedal

I was thinking about using two of these as the receiving amps: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...river-di-pedal
            One set to Fender clean with modulation/delay in front of it, one set to Marshall/Mesa dirty with a tubescreamer or other OD in front of it.

This would take the two signals and combine into one output: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hs-summing-amp

Then it could go into a master reverb or compressor or whatever, and ultimately into the FRFR rig. The Levels on the two individual amp-pedals would provide the blend function.

I guess a bigger question is whether parallel signal chains is worth pursuing at all. Pretty much all recorded music I listen to has multi-tracked guitars, and parallel signal chains would provide a live version of the clarity and depth of tone that multi-tracking provides. On the flip side, it isn't super common which leads me to believe it isn't terribly necessary for having fun with tone.

Certainly open to doing it in a MFX.
            Last edited by alex1fly; 10-08-2021, 02:48 PM.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I have, but in my experience the benefits aren't usually worth the complexity unless you are running two amps to take advantage of the differences into amps which accentuate both to their best.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Boss Line Selector can blend two parallel chains.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Seems that it would lead to headache down the road:

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                    Seems that it would lead to headache down the road:

hahaha unreal -That was the worst RIg Rundown I've ever seen, He's totally lost the plot.

He's traded tone and functionality for gadgetry and complexity.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

The GT has the most processing hp of those 3, can't speak to Fractal or similar.
                      I know the Fractal and the Helix won't work with 2 big signal chains. You can do parallel paths as long as you don't want 12 effects in each one.

Comment

Wow.
                        Just, wow.
                        he didn't have a Metalzone.

Comment

It's all just cooking. If you start using a lot of ingredients and procedures, you had better know what you are doing.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            Boss Line Selector can blend two parallel chains.
                            Indeed it can, I just recently got around to working with that a bit, after having the pedal a few years now that's a shame.
                            The Angry Driver jb2 also has a parallel mode that I didn't make time for initially, but it's became my favorite mode if I'm using the pedal as a stand-alone drive into a clean/ish amp.

Comment

Most ABY boxes can be flipped to allow.

Y to A or B

A and B to Y

SO....

Guitar to Y = A or B

A Chain and B Chain to A and B = Y to whatever
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X