A cheap decent noise gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Are you planning to hardwire it so it's always on and just use a 3pdt switch to bypass?
    Who are you asking?

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Who are you asking?
      Whoop. Wrong quote. I was asking GuitarJr.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Whoop. Wrong quote. I was asking GuitarJr.
        It will have a 3pdt switch so I can do it on/off.

Comment

Very interesting list and info. Not entirely accurate...but close.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Might depend on what you call 'clean' tones.

I'm perfectly happy without a noise gate while playing single coils into loud 70s rock levels of gain (although I had to learn to roll the volume knob off pretty quick when not playing, and what angle to hold the guitar at). I can be perfectly happy without a noise gate playing humbuckers into loud 80s metal levels of gain. With either of those two scenarios excess noise is typically caused by a problem - bad cable, bad connection, poor shielding in the guitar, bad pedal, bad power supply, etc. I agree with OC on this . . . you're probably better served figuring out the source of the noise in that case and fixing it rather than going with a noise gate.

If you're playing percussive down tuned metal stuff though, I'm guessing this is a whole different ball game.
            What I am calling clean tones are clean tones. You are talking overdriven, crunch tones it sounds like based on what you said. I have several amps that once turned on and no note played you will hear noise from the amp...a hiss type noise. Nothing is wrong with the amp. You simply need a gate to play through it to eliminate the white noise. Bogner Uberschall, great amp, in fact my favorite amp in certain iterations, and I can't play it without a noise gate no matter what style of music I play. It is an amp that simply needs a gate. You can't twist, position, mute it away. I am also not aware tuning makes a difference when deciding an amp needs a gate or not. A lot of amps when really turned up are probably a lot louder than you may think. If you like a nice, quiet rig (like I do) you can't get around using a gate.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
              What I am calling clean tones are clean tones. You are talking overdriven, crunch tones it sounds like based on what you said. I have several amps that once turned on and no note played you will hear noise from the amp...a hiss type noise. Nothing is wrong with the amp. You simply need a gate to play through it to eliminate the white noise. Bogner Uberschall, great amp, in fact my favorite amp in certain iterations, and I can't play it without a noise gate no matter what style of music I play. It is an amp that simply needs a gate. You can't twist, position, mute it away. I am also not aware tuning makes a difference when deciding an amp needs a gate or not. A lot of amps when really turned up are probably a lot louder than you may think. If you like a nice, quiet rig (like I do) you can't get around using a gate.
              Most amps will produce some hiss when turned on. For the type of music I described, with a functioning/properly designed amp, this shouldn't be loud enough to require a noise gate. I've played plenty of amps 'really turned up'. When they're that loud, you usually can't hear the hiss over the ringing in your ears between songs. :P

Tuning doesn't make a difference at all regarding need for a gate - you're misreading me there. I was referring to the (typically) down-tuned styles of metal . . . this music is played with gain levels high enough that there's little dynamic range and noise is compressed/amplified to much higher than normal levels. The ability to switch between fully on (any sound from the guitar) and fully off (all strings muted) is very important for the percussive aspects of this music, so maybe a gate makes more sense there. It sounds to me like this is the style of music that you play.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Most amps will produce some hiss when turned on. For the type of music I described, with a functioning/properly designed amp, this shouldn't be loud enough to require a noise gate. I've played plenty of amps 'really turned up'. When they're that loud, you usually can't hear the hiss over the ringing in your ears between songs. :P

Tuning doesn't make a difference at all regarding need for a gate - you're misreading me there. I was referring to the (typically) down-tuned styles of metal . . . this music is played with gain levels high enough that there's little dynamic range and noise is compressed/amplified to much higher than normal levels. The ability to switch between fully on (any sound from the guitar) and fully off (all strings muted) is very important for the percussive aspects of this music, so maybe a gate makes more sense there. It sounds to me like this is the style of music that you play.
                I play all kinds of music and like a silent rig in all styles. My musical DNA is on the heavy stuff for sure. Thrash metal is what I cut my teeth on and am most rooted in. Next to that I love the rock stuff...Deep Purple, Montrose, Foreigner, etc then we get into the VH stuff....Dio....Whitesnake.....Ozzy stuff. I have always been one for dynamics, volume roll offs, etc but I understand what you are saying. I misread your tuning remark. I learned to like a silent rig. I can manage a louder rig and did for many years but if you don't have to, why would you? I do admit I am very particular about things though so maybe that is part of it. I just like it right and to me if there is noise I am not intentionally producing myself it is best to eliminate it.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                  I play all kinds of music and like a silent rig in all styles. My musical DNA is on the heavy stuff for sure. Thrash metal is what I cut my teeth on and am most rooted in. Next to that I love the rock stuff...Deep Purple, Montrose, Foreigner, etc then we get into the VH stuff....Dio....Whitesnake.....Ozzy stuff. I have always been one for dynamics, volume roll offs, etc but I understand what you are saying. I misread your tuning remark. I learned to like a silent rig. I can manage a louder rig and did for many years but if you don't have to, why would you? I do admit I am very particular about things though so maybe that is part of it. I just like it right and to me if there is noise I am not intentionally producing myself it is best to eliminate it.
                  Oh yeah, I totally get that. I was recently losing my **** because of a little extra noise that a ****ty power supply was adding to my pedalboard.

Gates are a tradeoff. You can get perfect silence when you're not playing . . . but it tends to come at the cost of some of the very low output signal info from your guitar. Better gates and careful setting can largely minimize this, but it's still always there if you know to listen for it. For me, the hiss doesn't bug me as much as the sound of the gate kicking in . . . but I totally understand how someone could go the other way. Horses for courses.

Comment

When I was in my last band, at rehearsal I usually turned the gate to more sensitive setting to keep the noise floor down.
                    At a gig however, I would lower the setting.
                    The ambient noise in the bar would essentially mask any amp noise and the added benefit was the added dynamics.

Comment

Post a review
                      "Dear valued customer, you'll get it when you get it."
                      Delayed one to three weeks.

Comment

I had a Joyo Gate of Kahn under my board when I used a big muff. Tiny, had no issues.

Comment

O.K second attempt.
                          It's a decent pedal. It can be mega fast. The amount of control is pretty cool. However it may have added a bit of background radiation to the signal. I will try with a different amp, cables and set up some other day.
                          It is fast enough to actually mess with your head for a bit.
                          I ended up using my Amp1 Iridium built in noise gate for noise reduction and the Soph gate for the speed. It is kind of like an effect which is kind of what I was looking for.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20211206_17_40_43_Pro.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	6133662

Comment

Working...
                          X