No announcement yet.

BYOC Yellow Overdrive (Boss OD-1 Clone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next one might be a Classic phaser or chorus. Not sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
      So far, I have done 2 Mouse kits, 2 Soaring Skillets, 3 Analog Chorus, 2 Li'l Fuzz, 2 Triangle Large Beavers, 2 Ram's Head Large Beaver, 3 Classic Delays, 5 Classic Phasers, 1 Tremolo, 1 Brownface Harmonic Tremolo, 1 Silver Pony II, 1 Envelope Filter/Fixed Wah and 2 Analog Delays.

I guess that's 27?

Some of the ones I made multiples of were for friends. Of the ones I kept, the Soaring Skillet, Large Beavers, Analog Delay, Classic Phaser and the Mouse are favorites.

The Analog Chorus is a terrific CE-2 with next to zero noise and the Analog Delay (Boss DM-2) is so good that I sold my original Boss from the early 80's for a ridiculous price. The BYOC sounds indistinguishable but the bypass doesn't kill your tone like the original.

I'm a fan.
      I've built the Overdrive II, original Silver Pony, Wah, 5 knob Compressor & Tremolo. I agree that if you like to tinker with stuff, they are really fun, not too hard, and sound amazing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        I finally had time to build this thing. We've had so much going on. So glad I was able to get it done. This is one great overdrive. Takes me back to when I first started playing and a friend lent me his original OD-1 for a while. The graphic is Rip from Yellowstone. I've already had a few people mention Hank Jr...LOL. It was a fun project to do.

That TC Electronic 3rd Dimension is my Christmas present from my wife. Killer pedal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG image 6.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	6141629

Name:	JPEG image 3.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	6141631

Name:	JPEG image 4.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	6141630
        Nice clean install... nice work...

got bad news though, unless the Film Caps label read facing west, the pedal wont have the magic mojo.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Nice clean install... nice work...
          Thanks.

got bad news though, unless the Film Caps label read facing west, the pedal wont have the magic mojo.
          Funny you say that because I did install them all in one direction as far as the label read goes.

Comment

Thanks.

Funny you say that because I did install them all in one direction as far as the label read goes.

Haha! I do the same thing. Color bands on resistors always read from top to bottom or left to right, too.

Being anal about that stuff is OK and it makes me feel like I did everything right. Easy to spot misplaced components too.

I'm really impressed by your build. Nice job!

Comment

My next one might be a Classic phaser or chorus. Not sure yet.
              Both of those kits are really nice. The chorus uses a lot of 1/8 resistors so be prepared for handling tiny little parts. The color bands are very difficult to see for me without the help of a magnifying lens. I found it easier to use the DMM to sort them out.

The phaser is great and it can be dialed in to your liking with the internal trimpot. I have done Block and Script versions of this kit and they sound awesome either way.

Comment

Thanks.

I know, facing east! -the wrong way! this pedal is totally screwed
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I know, facing east! -the wrong way! this pedal is totally screwed
                  Will turning the pedal 180 degrees help?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Great question ... Yes, except now the resistor color code orientation has changed to East West -thereby changing their resistance values.

Also, he would need to give me his GPS coordinates so we can calculate the offset of magnetic north to true north -as we get the mojo yellow OD tone from true north -not this polar EMF bullsh*t

Comment

Great question ... Yes, except now the resistor color code orientation has changed to East West -thereby changing their resistance values.

Also, he would need to give me his GPS coordinates so we can calculate the offset of magnetic north to true north -as we get the mojo yellow OD tone from true north -not this polar EMF bullsh*t
                      Well, with the pedal on the ground, controls up, the film caps read does in fact go to the left (west).....LOL. I know this is all jokes and all but hey, I had to look and verify.
                      Last edited by ErikH; 01-13-2022, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post

Both of those kits are really nice. The chorus uses a lot of 1/8 resistors so be prepared for handling tiny little parts. The color bands are very difficult to see for me without the help of a magnifying lens. I found it easier to use the DMM to sort them out.

The phaser is great and it can be dialed in to your liking with the internal trimpot. I have done Block and Script versions of this kit and they sound awesome either way.
                        Those 1/8 watt resistors are a bugger to read. I've got some hear from other projects I had done some years back. The compressors looks like fun projects too.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

^ See, this guy here thinks outside of the box.

Comment

Just wanted to says a big thanks to ErikH and the rest of the contributors here.

As a result of reading this thread I went back to a BYOC build that I got frustrated with several years ago.

It had started smoking on power up and as I couldn't identify the damaged component, I got frustrated - not knowing how to proceed - and left it.

After seeing this it inspired me to revisit my build, I checked out a bit on how to troubleshoot, and although it didn't help me directly, indirectly it did. While looking at the board, I think I have found the blown resistor (I hope that's the only damaged component at any rate).

Now have a plan for how to proceed.

Comment

If you want to share some pics and the schematic I can try to help you trouble shoot it. Usually a resistor smoking is an indicator of another problem, they very, very rarely just fail, it's generally because too much current has been directed through them via a short, a backwards diode, or something.

Comment

Thanks very much, I really appreciate that devastone.

I stupidly tested it in the enclosure instead of testing beforehand. I also spotted a solder joint that I had missed.
                                I'm going to replace the resistor and go back over all of the solder connections before I re-test.

The enclosure itself is too small/badly drilled so I can't completely rule out a short there also.

I've had some family stuff come up and will have to put it on hold again for a while. Once I've gone over it again I'll post pics in a new thread if it's still not sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                                X