banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this about? Duncan 805 new, old-stock pedal, Rev 000, original version.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
    The reason I wouldnt buy pickups by MXR is that I think they are pretty dicey with pedals. Seymour is aces with pickups; it is not like Marshall coming out with a guitar line.
    I was gonna put out that Marshall ran a very successful line of pedals. And Ibanez is known for a number of things...but someone might get butt-hurt and we wouldn't want that.

I think it is called "relying on brand strength to break into related markets" or something like that. Especially when your Core Competecies are Tone, Electronics, and Manufacturing.

Bah - what do I know.....
    Last edited by Aceman; 01-24-2022, 12:37 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Here's a fine example of a company (and I hate this term) "diversifying" their brands (brand names). In fact, they have a metric ****-ton of brands.

You may have heard of them - they are called "Procter & Gamble":

Here is the full list of their (diversified) brands:

Iconic brands you can trust. At Procter & Gamble we make every day more than ordinary with P&G products for your family and home.

So, all these different brands (brand names) under one umbrella.

And there's plenty of other companies that do the same.

So for example, they don't sell their diapers as "Procter & Gamble's Diapers", they sell them as "Pampers".

They don't sell their pit-scrape (deodorant) as "Procter & Gamble's Deodorant", they sell them as "Old Spice".

etc...
      Last edited by LLL; 01-24-2022, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        I think it is called "relying on brand strength to break into related markets" or something like that. Especially when your Core Competecies are Tone, Electronics, and Manufacturing.
        I get this, but to be specific, it should be called, "relying on phenomenal pickup brand strength to break into the already over-saturated pedal market".

It's actually apples to oranges.... they're both fruit (guitar gear), but not the same (pickups vs pedals).

Comment

You make my point. Given that Pedal market is oversaturated, it would be foolish to expect that anyone who is unknown could get in. But Duncan is not unknown.

That said - only a small proportion of any guitar player ever changes their pickups. We are a small small minority in the musical mod arena. And we all know about Duncan, and about pedals, and are so deep in that we wouldn't be worried about pickups vs pedals based on only the brand 'word of mouth' on pickups.

Pickup guys know Duncan as Quality => expect quality pedals and know what they are.

Non pickup guys don't know Duncan, so just another pedal.

They have a base purchaser in the pickup buyers, and the ability to gain new ground with the non pickup familiar. It would be silly to do a startup in pedals and NOT use their name.

And then they cross sell between the two. When a pedal buyer finds out about pickups.....

Comment

The thing with the (oversaturated) pedal market is, it's a relatively cheap and easy "new buy" fix for the typical person who owns guitar equipment.

They want to buy new gear (many times not for any specific reason) from time to time just to feel the "new buy" endorphins... they go and buy a pedal.

So, the fact the pedal market is oversaturated isn't as big of a detriment as it would seem.

It also would seem to be one of the easier markets to get into, as evidenced by all of the basement-dweller pedal junkies testing circuits who sell one-offs, grow, then make it big (Wampler, JHS, Klon, Analog Man etc), not to mention the incredible amount of brand names to pick from.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              The thing with the (oversaturated) pedal market is, it's a relatively cheap and easy "new buy" fix for the typical person who owns guitar equipment.

They want to buy new gear (many times not for any specific reason) from time to time just to feel the "new buy" endorphins... they go and buy a pedal.

So, the fact the pedal market is oversaturated isn't as big of a detriment as it would seem.

It also would seem to be one of the easier markets to get into, as evidenced by all of the basement-dweller pedal junkies testing circuits who sell one-offs, grow, then make it big (Wampler, JHS, Klon, Analog Man etc), not to mention the incredible amount of brand names to pick from.
              You are probably right.

Comment

The thing with Wampler, JHS, Klon, Analog Man etc, they all started out 20 years ago, some before that, before the market got as saturated as it is now. They started doing mods on the big name brands making names for themselves and then established their own designs little by little. At that time, there was a lot more room in the market. I wouldn't want to try that now.

Comment

How did those Basslines pickups work out?
                  We still make them, under the Duncan name now.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Seymour Duncan Basslines... pickups?

You said "pickups", right?

Makes sense.

Comment

Well, yeah, but the separate branding was something you have moved away from. The Seymour Duncan name, then, seems like more asset than liability in that market.
                      Absolutely, it is an asset.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        The thing with Wampler, JHS, Klon, Analog Man etc, they all started out 20 years ago, some before that, before the market got as saturated as it is now. They started doing mods on the big name brands making names for themselves and then established their own designs little by little. At that time, there was a lot more room in the market. I wouldn't want to try that now.
                        If only the tube amp world was as diverse as the pedal world today. I mean, there are more now than before of course, but still seems something's lacking.

Plus, the more competition, the lower the prices in general.

Comment

Alright, enough of this tangent ****.

Let's get back to the topic - SD 805 pedal.

Comment

Lol

Comment

So when are they making a cosmetically tolerable looking/colored pedal with easier to see and fiddle with controls so this pedal will get into the hands of more people who would love it and bring it the respect and credibility that it deserves? Asking for a friend...

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                                So when are they making a cosmetically tolerable looking/colored pedal with easier to see and fiddle with controls so this pedal will get into the hands of more people who would love it and bring it the respect and credibility that it deserves? Asking for a friend...

You may not b the market. Best to select something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X