So, About That RAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, About That RAT

I'm keeping it. The current Pro Co RAT (2). I could go down the RAT (rabbit) trail and try juiced-up clones, but no don't need to.

I dig it as a "preamp" more than straight distortion... not a fan of the splatty, frequencies-are-being-overloaded, crungey tone when you turn things up.

"preamp" as in Distortion knob turned to around 9 o'clock and not much more.

With the Fender Deluxe, gets nice n grindy.

With higher gain a la MP-1, provides just enough "poke" for muscular, percussive hammer-ons/pull-offs, pinchies are a breeze and a nice crunchy sheen in the treble.

The knobs are all very dynamic and tweak-y, and interact with each other.

Solid 5 stars!
    Last edited by LLL; 01-24-2022, 05:19 PM.

I agree, better as a crunchy boost, it turns into a fuzz when the distortion is cranked. Which, can be fun too, but not an everyday tone for me.

Comment

Yup. It's one of those that makes a good tool to have in the shed. The current Rat 2 is as good as any of them, IMO.

The one thing that some forget about and don't adjust too well to is the filter control works opposite that of a typical control.
      Last edited by ErikH; 01-25-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I don't know why in the world I never got one until now, about 37 years later.

I remember seeing the RAT ads all the time in Guitar For The Practicing Musician ($15.00 worth of sheet music inside!) in the 80's and thinking, "hm."

but it never jived with me enough to get one. No stores had them that I recall. Besides, BOSS was the king daddy at the time..."what's this RAT business anyways?"
        and "i wonder if this has something to do with RATT?" and "does RATT use a RAT pedal? Huh.."

It's a must-have boost flavor in your tone spice cabinet, along with a Klon klone, DS-1 type, SD-1 type, OD-1 type, Rangemaster type, (real) EP-3 preamp, and for Ritchie fans, AIWA 1011 preamp, etc

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          It's a must-have boost flavor in your tone spice cabinet, along with a Klon klone, DS-1 type, SD-1 type, OD-1 type, Rangemaster type, (real) EP-3 preamp, and for Ritchie fans, AIWA 1011 preamp, etc
          So glad you approve.

But there are pedals that as much as I would like, or like to think, everyone should own, some people live their entire lives without them. Others never were without one of them, and wouldn't be caught dead without one.

Whatever works for you.

Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            So glad you approve.
            I didn't realize your name was Scott Burnham... or maybe you just think that's your name.

Comment

The Rat is really a flexible and versatile design. There is a reason for the legendary status that it enjoys.

I studied the Rat a lot before building a bass friendly version and really came to appreciate the simplicity, and just how many uses live in there.

Just picked up a Big Ear Woodcutter, which is a boutique Rat that sounds really good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
                The Rat is really a flexible and versatile design. There is a reason for the legendary status that it enjoys.

I studied the Rat a lot before building a bass friendly version and really came to appreciate the simplicity, and just how many uses live in there.

Just picked up a Big Ear Woodcutter, which is a boutique Rat that sounds really good too.
                IIRC didn't ProCo make a RAT for bass?

Comment

I've been debating if the Fat Rat is worth the cash over the Rat 2.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I've been debating if the Fat Rat is worth the cash over the Rat 2.
                    Well... it is fatter.

Comment

Why not just get the JHS Packrat? You have all the Rats in one pedal.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                        I suffer from option paralysis. Too many choices mean that I spend my time tweaking, not playing.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I suffer from option paralysis. Too many choices mean that I spend my time tweaking, not playing.
                          "Paralysis by Analysis"

Just go buy a regular RAT and go from there.

Otherwise, the RAT suspense will just keep... gnawing (cough cough) at you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                            ALL THE RaTz!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

IIRC didn't ProCo make a RAT for bass?
                              They sure did. It was called the Juggernaut. The pedal itself is pretty massive and I knew there was no way I could fit it on my pedal board.

Comment

Working...
                              X