banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building an active preamp/diode clipping module, from parts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an active preamp/diode clipping module, from parts!

Well-

This weekend I'm likely going, to order a ton of parts from Kitronic.

They got some sweet, pre-built amplfiers, that run on either 3v, or 9v; (with everything included),
    -aswell as every kind of components I desire. The shipping is on the expensive side; but; heck! I need something to do. I don't want to take my patents with me in the grave, a'la N. Tesla.

What I got in mind; is using one, or two- of their pre-built mono amps; with some clipping diodes between, to ground. Adding potentiometers (they got a double one, 10K, linear!! for 1usd a piece)...

+ some capacitors, passive vol/tone; et cetera.

Anyone got some input, on what I should get?
    (I already got a brand new, working soldering station, w/ solder, and a multimeter).

Cheers,
    -Erlend ♪
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

They also got some beautiful light-bulb sockets, 25pack, for cheap-. And 1,5v, 2,5v and 3,5v bulbs; with real tungsten filaments; 50pack for cheap.

I want to include real light bulbs, instead/with resistors- in my design. (one of my... "secrets" ). hehe. I won't make much money, I guess... but it might sound excellent! Super good!

....also, light-changing diodes for clipping. should do the trick. he he.
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Sounds like you are building a hard clipping distortion pedal. You might look up the Marshall Guv'nor and Shredmaster schematics, there are pretty much what you are talking about and a good starting place.

You might also check out some amp simulators built with FETs replacing tubes, the Brown Sound in a Box is pretty much the grandfather to those, including the Wampler and Caitlinbread amp-in-a-box pedals.

You can find all those here - http://generalguitargadgets.com/

Comment

I want to stay all analog; with funny parts; like- - color changing diodes; wierd IR senders/recievers; elemental cores in coils- light bulbs as resistors (one in series, one in paralllel to ground; as a primitive compressor?!), and ; well- even electro-magnetic, "randomly swinging pendulums" as a uni-vibe .

... I just ask my God, for time and health- to make these projects come alive !

Thanks alot for the link:

I'm just about to stop drinking; and instead use my time GOOD- i.e. reading up on various websites.

(nothings ever gonna get "great" per se- ... but, a little bit of good, is better than nothing?!)

-Erlend ♪

Comment

It's a rabbit hole of experimentation Erlend, have fun. Probably start with getting a small experimenters board and buying or building a 9V power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            It's a rabbit hole of experimentation Erlend, have fun. Probably start with getting a small experimenters board and buying or building a 9V power supply.
            yeah, well... I'm hoping to find the balance; between... traditional technology; and "new age" borderline- insanity; which I get my ideas from, while I ...eh, intake various herbs. =)

In one of my D/A converters; I'm using actual analog MECHANICS; to translate the "edge" of what the binary computer can handle. With, a weight rod, and electro-magnets!

peace n' blessed be!

-Erlend ♪

Comment

This is the pinnacle, get them inolved! I kid, I kid....

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
              X