banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overdrive pedal for a thick rhythm sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon you're after something with a big chewy midrange. I think a Fulltone OCD is gonna be a winner for you here

But you should also probably consider something klon-esque as well. So for giggles, consider something like this Archer:

Comment

Many thanks for your input everyone, great list of pedals that I'll no doubt end up collecting all of! I've since replaced the neck pickup of this guitar with a Seth Lover actually and it does sound a lot less muddy - the clean tone on my HT1 is great but it does struggle through the Sansamp still.

Sadly my Soul Food turned up today and it seems to be faulty :-(

Comment

I'm rather thinking that a treble booster into the existing preamp might do the trick. It is what Blackmore would do with the neck pickup.

Comment

I think the thickest rhythm tone I've ever had has been with the Pedal Monsters Klone. The gain isn't even dialed up high. Fantastic overdrive with sick dynamics. I'm glad I found this one.

Comment

I managed to repair the Soul Food and I quite like it. It's not particularly thick but it gets a nice sound out of the Seth Lover in the neck. Going to use my Sansamp with the Slash bridge pickup for a melt-your-face-off rhythm tone (already love it) and the Soul Food with the neck pickup for a softer overdrive.

I will continue to update this thread as I collect more pedals

Comment

I have a Blackstar HT-20mkII. If you aren't happy about how your HT-1 sounds; I don't think you'll like the HT-20 either.

...I bought mine unseen/without trying it first. I was disappointed, but learnt to live with it. What "does the trick", is a old Boss 10-Band EQ in the effects loop-
              -I cut everything under 80, and over 4000hz, with a boost at 500-2khz. This really brought some real life and sound into it.

I also use a EHX "Allied Overdrive" as a preamp boost; it's my all time favourite pedal. It has three transistor stages, a sparkle/crunch/british overdrive sound; 3-band EQ, blend- etc. It takes the blackstar from "ok" to "80's heavy metal" territory!

Cheers and best wishes,
              -Erlend ♪
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

As far as Klon style for rhythm playing-it's a 2 way street, a Klon is great for accenting arpeggios and rhythmic nuance, BUT you also will poke out more in a band mix -you can't sit back in the mix as much with a Klon gained in.

So just consider what you want the band to sound like and if their is detail in your rhythmic playing you need closer to the front of the mix -If you are cowboy and power chording under the leads and detail mostly, I'm not sure a Klon style is the best choice for this.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post
                  "I really love the sound of the APH-2B through my Sansamp Classic, but it seems to struggle with neck pickups sound very muddy"

My quest for a clear neck pickup ended when I put a SD Jazz on my Les Paul; it's unbelievable. I have a Seth Lover on the bridge and I'm pleased with the outcome. Regarding the overdrive, you could try the Fulltone OCD: you can't go wrong with it. If you want thicker od, you can try the ehx hot tubes, which is the most underrated pedal on this planet. If you want to go towards the distorion territory, you can also consider the Catalinbread Katzenkonig. I use mine at 0 gain and it does wonders for me.

I've noticed this with discreet drives. Almost universally they add a lot of clarity and feel very 'alive.'

To OP: I've got a non-drive suggestion: the BBE sonic stomp. I've got a sonic maximizer before my fuzz (Aion Solaris with the pickup simulator so you can put it anywhere in the chain) and a Clinchfx EP-Pre at the end of my chain and the clarity even with my Les Paul in the neck position (pearly gates) is awesome. Analogman BART transistors so it's a huge, ungodly thick and girthy sound.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Working...
                  X