No announcement yet.

Boss SD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vai eventually just started using the DS-1 only into the Fender side of his rig. His Carvin amps were boosted with a regular ts.

Comment

Using my SD-1 to push my TT-Mayhem. For when I want a different flavor to the MT-2.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Using my SD-1 to push my TT-Mayhem. For when I want a different flavor to the MT-2.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
        Pushing the Mayhem. I like it.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Vai used a SD-1 and Dist+ on P&W (that's what I remember, he went through what he used in the tab/music book, I'll look it up later), he has also used a TS9, DS-1, and Rat, usually with the Keeley mods, and gain low, output high to push an already gainy amp.

Back in the day TS9s could be had cheap, I remember buying one for $35, I think I sold it to another guy for $25 or something.

The cool thing about the SD-1 over the TS s the assymetrical clipping, it adds more even order harmonics.
          Wasn't Vai's Gemini Pedal basically a TS9 into a DS-1? I thought that was his "most" used combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Wasn't Vai's Gemini Pedal basically a TS9 into a DS-1? I thought that was his "most" used combo.
            Yeah, something like that. P&W was a long time ago, but also his best tones IMHO, of course that may partially be because it was recorded to analog tape.

FWIW, here;s his explanation of how he used it - https://youtu.be/WrBLnB3ze5Y
            Last edited by devastone; 08-09-2022, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Is someone compare Boss SD1 with Carl Martin Plexytone and Wampler Plexi Drive and Pinnacle.
              Last edited by sdelac2; 08-10-2022, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdelac2 View Post
                Is someone compare Boss SD1 with Carl Martin Plexytone and Wampler Plexi Drive and Pinnacle.
                You mean SD-1 Super Overdrive? If so, not even close at all.

Comment

Very different pedals, the Martin and Wampler pedals are amp in a box Marshall style pedals designed to get the sound of those amps into a clean amp, the SD-1 is more for pushing an amp without changing the basic personality of the amp. It would work great stacked in front of the Martin and Wampler pedals.

Comment

Is it true that the ZW-44 is based on the SD-1 (now known as the Berzerker?) There was a rumour that every unit had a switch under the chassis that could turn it into a GT-OD and that every GT and ZW was the same and just depended on where the switch was set at factory. Wasn’t the case with my ZW-44 as there’s nothing where the switch is supposed to be.

However, it was the basis for my custom, hand-built overdrive with the switch to go between GT and ZW includee; completely different components with different values, a symmetrical, asymmetrical and diode bypass switch and an LPB-1 booster built right in to go from fat lead boost to “ripped speaker” aggression.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	zwboard1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	6189723

zakk used to use the sd1 on his board before the zw pedal was made

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	zwboard1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	6189723

zakk used to use the sd1 on his board before the zw pedal was made
                        So I heard. I’m wondering how much carried over to the ZW. Obviously the asymmetrical clipping did.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Thank you.I think that is OD pedal.

Comment

Those other pedals are "Marshall in a box" type pedals.

The SD1 is used to boost an under driven amp into hot rod Marshall territory. Those pedals don't need that. But you could....the SD1 can be used before a pedal too.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Yeah, something like that. P&W was a long time ago, but also his best tones IMHO, of course that may partially be because it was recorded to analog tape.

FWIW, here;s his explanation of how he used it - https://youtu.be/WrBLnB3ze5Y
                                Analog tape is absolutely better tone IMO. I wish more studios/atrist would go back to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X