How to dial in metalzone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to dial in metalzone?

What is your philosophy/method to setting up a metal zone? My buddy just modded mine to Diezel specs and the recommended settings in the manual no longer work

From what I know about the metal zone the bass and treble knobs don't work the same as most other pedals.

How do I dial it in?

Not to sound trite, but use your ears. I've got one with a Keeley mod. Not sure if it's similar to the Diezel mod. But it's different enough from the original that you just have to mess around with it and see what you like. Start with the settings that you used before you modded it. Then just adjust to taste.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Start with the high and low at noon and the top mids knob at about 1:30, then move the bottom sweep knob around until you find where you like that slight mid-boost at.

Then adjust the high and low to taste, but remember that highs is more of an ultra-highs, so use your amp's treble to get enough cut so that the pedal's highs can be kept in the lower or middle area.

Once you have the highs and lows roughly set to taste go back to the top mids knob and adjust how much boost you want.

You can also use the mids to cut, in which case you would set the mids to 10:30 and sweep the bottom knob until you find the right spot, then go back to the top mids knob and adjust to taste.

Comment

Something often neglected is that you can use the mids to boost. Then use a bit less treble and bass with the distortion at around 1:00.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

It helps to have a reference recording so you can A/B the pedal through your amp to the sound you want. The EQ on the pedal is very sensitive so make tiny changes to knobs once you start getting close to the sound you want. You can keep the gain pretty low and still get a heavy saturated tone.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Some people really like it as a preamp so plugging it into your fx return and dialling it in like you would an amp, maybe jacking the mids, then use the mid sweep to find the mid freq you don’t like and pull it down ought to do it.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

There are a few points to consider conceptually so that you know what your doing. This is based off the stock pedal, but it's pretty similar to your modded one.

First, the high and low controls are shelving filters. That means instead of boosting or cutting a specific frequency by a variable amount, you are varying the range of frequencies and they are being boost and cut by a fixed amount. IE with the bass knob at noon there is no difference in sound, but at 1 o clock it might be boosting all frequencies from 100 to 150 hz by 6 dB but at 3 o clock it boosts all frequencies from 100 to 450 hz by 6db.

Second, the "mid frequency" knob has a massive range. You can use it to boost or cut bass or treble. Don't always have to use it for mids.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I say start with all the knobs at 3:00, play lightly, then set them to 9:00, play your hardest. Then go over to the garbage and throw it out.

(ducks)
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Start from left knob to right knob,
                  • the first knob is the "Fizz" Level -adjust,
                  • then the next knob is the "Fizz low" level -adjust,
                  • then the next knob is the "Fizz High" Level, -adjust
                  • the finish up with the rightmost knob the "Extra Fizz" level control.

now depress the engage pedal to turn the unit off

Totally dialed!
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Set everything to 12 O'Clock, ...and done.

Comment

Clutch has it figured out!

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Comment

You dont set the metal zone, the metal zone sets you
                          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400
                          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Some things already discussed - but let's put it all in perspective:

#1 Make sure the music you are making NEEDS a Metalzone. A lot of failure starts here.

#2 Seriously consider that preamp thing. Tried it, really liked it. Cut the amp's tone stack out of the equation

#3 That shelving thing. Yeah. Start with those at noon and come back later.

#4 Do this: Same approach as for a Sonic Maximizer
                            - Set mid boost at 10, rotate frequency knob until you find where it has that tone you like.
                            - Or set it at zero and rotate until you find the the scoop frequency you want
                            -The go back and set the knob to "5" and move to boost or cut until you get to the good amount
                            - Finally go back then adjust the bass/treble to taste

It's a lot, but it's a lot of pedal for what it is. Remember - controls have a big impact with only slight changes so go slow and easy.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                              Clutch has it figured out!

I think this sounds great. I'd never choose those sounds alone at home. Perfect for the mix though.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X