NPAPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPAPD

New preamp pedal day! (Not actually new today, or new at all--it's used--but we'll just pretend.)

It's a Revv G4 preamp. And it is a weapon of mass destruction. For anyone unaware of its existence, it's a modern, very high-gain preamp with three modes and a ton of tweakability. But make no mistake. This is a preamp, not just a distortion pedal. Running into the front of the amp is disappointing at best. It really needs to take over the duties of the amplifier's preamp section to sound like I believe it should. Going into the front end, it's dull and underwhelming. Running into the effects return, it's a fire-breathing monster.

All that being said, I can't overstate its clarity and note definition. It has this interesting presence in the bass--and it has all the bass I could ever want--where any residual resonance happening with your low E string will be heard. I think it will end up making me a better player because of it. It's not flubby or obnoxious; it's just amplifying what the instrument is giving it in a way I don't think I've experienced before. All in all, I think the knobs make exactly the changes they're supposed to change independent of each other. I needed to cut mids just a bit yesterday, and when I did, I just noticed that the highs were able to shine through a little more and the bass presence was as I just described.

I had some trepidation about bypassing my beloved preamp tubes in favor of a transistorized box, but it responds just the same way. There's a ton of dynamics in here, and rolling back the volume cleans up extremely well. I had already gotten over my mental block telling me that getting my gain from pedals is bad, but I had never gone direct to the effects return before. The only problem is switching back to the going-into-frontend setup for cleans and the older-school boosted-Plexi tones I had been playing with recently, but I solved that with a Saturnworks looper. (Thanks, Steve!) Boosted Plexi is not what the G4 is supposed to do. I think it could do it with a lot of tweaking, but then my hands wouldn't spontaneously break into Megadeth and Pantera riffs. I can't imagine anything musical happening if I were to be unsatisfied with the level of gain this pedal can provide.

I guess I should write a brief note on my impressions of the Aggression switch also. I don't know that I agree on the naming. In its middle position, you get what you get, and that's a modern, high-gain distortion with plenty of gain and tweakability. In the blue mode, it both fattens up and tightens up, and it adds a bit of a boost on top of what it gives in the middle. With red, there's a definite increase in gain, but it gets a little fizzier and looser-feeling, with maybe a bit of a shift into the upper mids.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Revv discussed on this board, because I think this is going to be a game-changer for me.
    Attached Files

I have yet to try running straight into the power section of any of my amps. But I bet that that would sound killer into the 200 ss watts of my Randall's power section.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah you have me wanting to check out this pedal.

Comment

I had a hard time choosing between the G3 and the G4, but I’m really liking this pedal a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          I had a hard time choosing between the G3 and the G4
          This! They both seem so great!

Comment

As a point of reference, I was trying to get a more modern sound than my Plexi-Drive Mini is capable of delivering, so I started shopping. I saw more hype about the Friedman pedals than should be possible about any product, so I decided to try to choose between those. After spending a bunch of time on Youtube, I decided the Smallbox would fit what I wanted better than the BE-OD. so I got one on Reverb. Honestly, I like the Wampler a lot better. It's not as tweakable as the Friedman, but it gets what I want out of a Plexi-ish tone.

I realize this isn't a great sales pitch for something I'll likely be looking to unload soon--I'm accepting offers, by the way--but the point is I went back to the drawing board and ended up with a Revv pedal. I'd have used the word "settled," but that would be misleading.

Comment

Working...
            X