What's your favorite wah pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I do like the sound of a vintage ParaPedal, although it sounds vastly different than typical wahs (much bigger sweep). It is the sound that Tony Iommi had in the early 80s. They fetch high prices, and even modern clones are expensive.

Do the modern clones compare in performance?

Comment

I like that they demo the wah pre and post-distortion. I am one of those rare people that likes my wah at the end of the chain. Not too many wah demos show this option.

Comment

Not if I start the song with it.
        Hahahaha . . . I've done this. Start playing and I'm scrambling to figure out why everything sounds so weird.

Oh. It's the damned wah. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I like that they demo the wah pre and post-distortion. I am one of those rare people that likes my wah at the end of the chain. Not too many wah demos show this option.
          Yeah, this is my favorite demo so far.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Do the modern clones compare in performance?
            Never trying them side by side, I don't know. I've only herd them on records and pedal demos.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wah at the end of the chain? Don't think that that would sound good with the amount of gain that I use. But I could try it, you never know.
              What I should try is wah in the loop.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a pair of old George Dennis CD 30 orange optical wahs that I have been running for over 20 years now. They just work no drama no worries about dirty pots with the optical and they are absolutely bulletproof reliable.
                2 of these

Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here is one of my old Geogre Dennis GD 30 Wahs in action with my Kiesel DC and through my Prs Archon. These sound fantastic and are built like tanks it's a shame they aren't available any more new.

Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Another clip from a few years back with one of my Dennis GD 30's through the little Boogie Subway. Doing some of the Gospel stuff i do I really beat on a Wah and the Dennis wahs have been the only ones that have held up to the pounding. I need to replace the power input to one and that's the first time I have ever had to repair anything on these things in the 20 + years Ive been beating the heck out of them Crybabies and the like with normal pots don't last a year without some issue with me. These with the heavy metal case and being optical I never touch they just work every night!

Guitars

Comment

Dime crybaby. Basically a Q with camo and skateboard tape. I have it dialled in just how I like. It doesn’t get mushy or washed out through any amp or gain level. I have it set darker (lower on the sweep sweep toe down) and a bit more vocal than Dime sets his and the bandwidth knob helps avoid that “robble-robble” sound Kirk Hammett uses that I just don’t like.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Wah at the end of the chain?
                        If you go to 1:30 it is wah at the end of the chain with fairly high gain.

Last edited by Securb; 12-03-2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the 535q because of the price and never really hearing a bad review.

Comment

I like my dime wah from hell a lot, but I also love the plain Jane Dunlop crybaby as well.
                            I find myself using them very sparingly these days.
                            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                              I'm leaning towards the 535q because of the price and never really hearing a bad review.
                              Just be aware if you're buying used - there have been a ton of circuit board revisions for the 535Q (From A all the way up to F). Dunlop has lied about it being true bypass for most of these revisions . . . from the circuits I've traced, it's just F that's actually TB though. Some of the earlier boards can suck tone pretty badly when off. It's possible to modify an older revision to be true bypass, but not always simple depending on which circuit revision.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My first (regular old Crybaby Wah) I got for Christmas all those years ago was always by favorite but way too noisy, so I've spent my guitar playing life searching for the same but not noisy.

My two current favored wahs are the Jerry Cantrel (the copper one) and the Buddy Guy.

I bought a Buda Wah years ago and hated it.

I have the Dime Crybaby from Hell but it's so confusing and I'm constantly messing with knobs that never seem to make me happy.

I'm pretty sure I have one other one but I can't remember off hand. I just love wah pedals.
                                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Working...
                                X