banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeley compressor plus...what's the big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeley compressor plus...what's the big deal?

I hear alot about this as a good compressor but what exactly makes it such a good choice? I have a jhs 3 series compressor and I'm considering upgrading but just wanted to know what you guys think about the Keeley compressor plus? Any feedback here is greatly appreciated.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

This is just my opinion, but It's a tool to solve a problem, so it's important to figure out:
    1. Do you have a problem compression will solve?
    2. Does this compressor solve the problem you have?
    The Compressor Plus is a compressor plus expander. That means it will compress your initial attack, and then increase the gain so the notes 'bloom' while fading out. It also has a blend knob to let clean signal through to recover more of the initial attack if the compression is too harsh. It also has a switch labeled Single / Humbucker that changes the attack and release all at once. Does that solve a problem you are experiencing with your current set up?

For the record, I use the Keeley Limiting Amplifier instead, because in my case, I wanted to control the compression ratio and set the threshold where the affect would trigger, and control the make up gain to compensate for the compression ratio. More of a 'studio recording' type of usage. I needed to control the ratio and makeup gain to simulate the response of a tube amp when using tube amp emulation pedals and devices. So that is a different form of compression and solved the problem I had.

I don't think the Plus was available when I bought my limiter - the Plus might work to get a similar result but using different controls to get there. I haven't had the opportunity to try that one in person. I'm just making the point that all compressors are not the same and it isn't the case that one brand or model is a 'better' compressor. They all use compression with different kinds of controls to do different things and solve slightly different problems. You need to figure out if this one matches the issue you're trying to solve.

Comment

I have the Plus. I’m usually not one for compression on my guitar pedalboards but I’ve always liked Keeley’s stuff. His 2-knob compressor was the first one I actually liked with guitar. The Plus is that and more. It lives on my Worship board and I love that it can be on but it doesn’t feel or sound like it is on. The blend control really helps with that but I gotta say, even the old 2-knob of his didn’t feel that way either.

Comment

Yeah - WHY do you want/need a compressor?

I almost never use one with electric - as I usually play with distorted hum buckers.

I often use one on acoustic for a variety of reasons.

I have 4 comps:
        1. MXR Dynacomp - for playing classic 80's Compression-as-an-effect
        2. My Boss Monte Allums modded CS-3 for my Acoustic - even out string dynamics, address my ham-handed live arpeggios, add punch
        3. A Wampler Ego - For high end compression with Blend knob (like using on a clean Tele)
        4. A Modtone Lemon Squeeze - because simple cheap and cute
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I can tell you first hand, compressors are great for playing cleanish live if you are rippin argeggios and such moving around being a spaz -especially for single coil

Also great fattening some P90s
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
          X