Too tough to die. Help restoring this old MXR pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too tough to die. Help restoring this old MXR pedal

Well, it's not that old, maybe 12 years or so. But I gigged the hell out of the poor thing and you can see the results.

Bastard still works though !!

Where would I get knobs for it?

Should I replace the damaged pots? (The lower right one , plus the lower left one is bent and spins around at an angle).

Or is that a lot of trouble? It's possible I can rig up a knob that fits well enough on the broken pot, and bend the bent one back straight enough. I don't see how you even get at them - would it be those 2 little screws and removing the switch nut?

Where would I find the screws that screw the back plate In? And I'm sure there was some rubber pad there before I put the velcro on. The velcro is coming off.

Thanks

Attached Files

(Edit function hasn't been working )

Just to be clear I'm not looking to restore it with the exact same knobs or anything. I just want them to be functional again! I can still use the pedal by just twisting the pots but I at least want it to have real knobs on it

Comment

You can get the screws at any hardware store. I think I have an extra MXR foam rubber cushion that wraps around the circuit board to keep it from grounding out on the chassis. If it is where I think it is and easy to dig out, you can have it if you would like.

Comment

I've had very good luck with lovemyswitches.com. He took some of the edge off when he took the noun off the front of the website that rhymes with the noun at the end that the forum won't let me spell out, but he's still got a decent selection and ships out real fast. (For those of you not getting it, it used to be b!tches love my switches. Take that, vBulletin! :-P)

Comment

Modern MXR pedals are usually designed to be held in place by pots and switch (which tends to put extra stress on the PCB and often leads to failures - which then can't easily be fixed since most of the crap on the board is tiny assed surface mounted components). Just pull all the knobs off, then unscrew the nuts holding each pot and the switch and should be able to back the whole board out. Then it should be possible to replace the pot, but because the pots tend to be soldered directly to the board and need to hold everything in place you'll have to find a replacement with exact measurements at your local electronics shop.

You can find replacement MXR screws all over the place: https://reverb.com/ca/item/33759866-...n-usa-new-part
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

For disassembly, what GuitarStv said and you will also need to remove the 2 nuts on the sides as well for the input output jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              You can get the screws at any hardware store. I think I have an extra MXR foam rubber cushion that wraps around the circuit board to keep it from grounding out on the chassis. If it is where I think it is and easy to dig out, you can have it if you would like.
              Hey I appreciate that so much, thanks, that would be great if you don't mind. Mine doesn't have the foam thing so the circuit board is almost touching the bottom plate when I put it on , that would definitely be cool to have.

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post

Hey I appreciate that so much, thanks, that would be great if you don't mind. Mine doesn't have the foam thing so the circuit board is almost touching the bottom plate when I put it on , that would definitely be cool to have.
                Easy enough man. It wasn't in the logical place so I looked in the illogical place, and there it was. It took me 30 seconds to dig it out. Just PM me your address and I will pop it in the mail.

Comment

Working...
                X