No announcement yet.

Looking for an acoustic sim pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Best - I don't mean awesome. Still wouldn't want to use it!

There is a reason I drag a real acoustic to gigs.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      By Best - I don't mean awesome. Still wouldn't want to use it!

There is a reason I drag a real acoustic to gigs.
      This is still my feeling, too. If you have to switch to acoustic for certain songs, it is better to use an acoustic guitar. If you have to play acoustic sections of songs that are mostly electric, I don't think any current or past acoustic pedals will make you happy.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This is still my feeling, too. If you have to switch to acoustic for certain songs, it is better to use an acoustic guitar. If you have to play acoustic sections of songs that are mostly electric, I don't think any current or past acoustic pedals will make you happy.
        I keep a little Mooer Acoustic Simulator in my gig bag - just in case the Acoustic goes down, just in case...but again, it would never be my choice of tones.

The real acoustic really brings the mojo that playing a lot of parts on an electric just doesn't have.

Comment

I keep a little Mooer Acoustic Simulator in my gig bag - just in case the Acoustic goes down, just in case...but again, it would never be my choice of tones.

The real acoustic really brings the mojo that playing a lot of parts on an electric just doesn't have.
          Part of the problem is that you physically play an acoustic differently. The strings are thicker, the action is higher, the frets are smaller - that requires a different touch which translates into a different sound.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

hell, i hate plugging in my acoustic guitars. the amazing sound of those guitars turns to crap as soon as its plugged in, which is why i loathe acoustic gigs. i do them cause $250 for a few hours with breaks, food, and drink is hard to turn down. ive never found a pedal that does justice, but i feel like the boss ac3 and clapton pedal sound about as good as youre going to get. there are some really nice preamps out there but they can be pricey. i kick myself for not getting a dtar solstice when they were available

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Part of the problem is that you physically play an acoustic differently. The strings are thicker, the action is higher, the frets are smaller - that requires a different touch which translates into a different sound.
              Oh yes - When I don't bring an acoustic to rehearsal, I get all kinds of side-eye on what I'm playing. I explain that 'Hey - this is very different on the electric. I'm trying not to break a string etc..."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                hell, i hate plugging in my acoustic guitars. the amazing sound of those guitars turns to crap as soon as its plugged in
                These days, after I have a few great sounding acoustics for home and recording, my only concern about a new one is how it sounds plugged in. I don't care at all how it sounds 'in the room'.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  I bought mine off this forum. It's much maligned on the internet . . .
                  Did you get that from me? I almost regret selling it. Almost.

While not exactly an acoustic sim, per se., the BBE AcoustiMax preamp does a pretty good job. Especially if used with a piezo style bridge like my Johnson clone of an Epiphone SST is.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Did you get that from me? I almost regret selling it. Almost.

While not exactly an acoustic sim, per se., the BBE AcoustiMax preamp does a pretty good job. Especially if used with a piezo style bridge like my Johnson clone of an Epiphone SST is.
                    Yeah, I did. I bought it from you. I am really impressed with how well it overtakes the guitar tone to almost 'forcibly' sound like the reference songs it's trying to imitate.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      hell, i hate plugging in my acoustic guitars. the amazing sound of those guitars turns to crap as soon as its plugged in, which is why i loathe acoustic gigs. i do them cause $250 for a few hours with breaks, food, and drink is hard to turn down. ive never found a pedal that does justice, but i feel like the boss ac3 and clapton pedal sound about as good as youre going to get. there are some really nice preamps out there but they can be pricey. i kick myself for not getting a dtar solstice when they were available
                      I have a Dtar Mama Bear sitting right next to me here, which is an awesome box, but it needs a piezo signal going into it if you want an electric to sound like an acoustic.

Comment

I have a Dtar Mama Bear sitting right next to me here, which is an awesome box, but it needs a piezo signal going into it if you want an electric to sound like an acoustic.
                        It's a shame that the whole DTAR thing apparently didn't take off too well. I'd love to try one of those AND the Solstice preamp.

Comment

Yes, I had one for years. These days, there are tons of good acoustic preamps that sound great with piezo signals, but that wasn't very common when the Mama Bear was out.

Comment

What Aceman says; the mooer acoustikar is a great little, inexpensive acoustic simulator. I love Boss pedals in general, but both their AC-2 and -3 pedals are blown out of the water by the Mooer. Only disadvantage: it’s a small pedal, no room for an integrated 9V battery compartment, 9V DC only. Since it’s part of my pedal board, no issue for me, otherwise you’re stuck to a separate 9V adapter.

Comment

I'm not saying it is a great pedal - but it would get me through a gig. Yeah - I guess better than a Boss AC2

Comment

Im not a fan of acoustic sim pedals in general, unless mixed in sparingly -Ive had better luck using a semi hollow with a pitch/harmonizer pedal and rolling in octaves for an acoustic sound with an electric
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X