Boss FZ-5 and FZ-1w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss FZ-5 and FZ-1w?

I'm not in the market for a fuzz right now, but I just noticed these in an advertisement on my computer.

Any opinions on these? Oddly enough the non-waza pedal looks more capable than it's more expensive cousin.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

The FZ-1w is on my G.A.S. short list.

The FZ-1w is an entirely new analog fuzz circuit by Boss with some cool features. It seems really versatile and high quality to me.

The FZ-5 is an "ok" sounding COSM (digital) pedal that tries to emulate a handful of well-known vintage fuzzes. There are some good sounds in it, but it's never gained the appreciation of most Boss fuzz enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      The FZ-1w is on my G.A.S. short list.

The FZ-1w is an entirely new analog fuzz circuit by Boss with some cool features. It seems really versatile and high quality to me.

The FZ-5 is an "ok" sounding COSM (digital) pedal that tries to emulate a handful of well-known vintage fuzzes. There are some good sounds in it, but it's never gained the appreciation of most Boss fuzz enthusiasts.
      FZ-1w follows in the footsteps of the FZ-2 and FZ-3 in being a unique analog fuzz. FZ-5 being COSM just doesn’t live up to the others. Part of the appeal of the FZ-5 is that it’s an easier to use fuzz. For that task I think the Wampler Velvet Fuzz is much better. And if you want a fuzz face, maestro or octavia, there are rather inexpensive versions of these you can try now. All IMO. (I personally own the FZ-2, FZ-3, FZ-5 and TB-2w. I plan on getting the FZ-1W as well)
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Behringer for the budget win.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I always kinda thought it was underrated. It does a decent fuzz face sound, a decent Maestro fuzz sound, and a decent octave fuzz sound. If what you want is a pedal to cover early fuzz territory, it's not a bad choice to pick up used.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

FZ-1w follows in the footsteps of the FZ-2 and FZ-3 in being a unique analog fuzz. FZ-5 being COSM just doesn’t live up to the others. Part of the appeal of the FZ-5 is that it’s an easier to use fuzz. For that task I think the Wampler Velvet Fuzz is much better. And if you want a fuzz face, maestro or octavia, there are rather inexpensive versions of these you can try now. All IMO. (I personally own the FZ-2, FZ-3, FZ-5 and TB-2w. I plan on getting the FZ-1W as well)
            How's that Tone Bender working out for you? Those things look pretty sick, but I missed out on the run.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

How on earth did Boss manage to design a digital circuit that was cheaper to produce than a fuzz pedal?

Comment

In terms of bang-for-the-buck, the FZ-5 is a solid choice if you're ok with "decent" sounds as GuitarStv said.

It's essentially a fuzz-centric multi-effects unit in a compact package, but the models it contains are limited. You give up some character by going digital (fuzz is one of the hardest sounds to accurately replicate digitally from what I understand, despite the circuits being relatively simple), but you do get a handful of genuinely usable sounds in a road-worthy form factor for about $90 or so used or $120 new.

The FZ-1w, on the other hand, is a dynamic, pro-level fuzz that has very versatile vintage and modern modes and will undoubtedly become a classic in the Boss lineup moving forward. Whether it's worth an extra $50 over an FZ-5 is completely user-dependent. For me, having gone through a lot of fuzzes, it would be, but that's certainly not the case for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  How on earth did Boss manage to design a digital circuit that was cheaper to produce than a fuzz pedal?
                  They've been creating COSM effects since the mid-'90s. Digital is their thing. Also, it was probably the most space-saving and cost-effective way to house 3 different fuzz "circuits" in a single unit.

Comment

In terms of bang-for-the-buck, the FZ-5 is a solid choice if you're ok with "decent" sounds as GuitarStv said.

It's essentially a fuzz-centric multi-effects unit in a compact package, but the models it contains are limited. You give up some character by going digital (fuzz is one of the hardest sounds to accurately replicate digitally from what I understand, despite the circuits being relatively simple), but you do get a handful of genuinely usable sounds in a road-worthy form factor for about $90 or so used or $120 new.

The FZ-1w, on the other hand, is a dynamic, pro-level fuzz that has very versatile vintage and modern modes and will undoubtedly become a classic in the Boss lineup moving forward. Whether it's worth an extra $50 over an FZ-5 is completely user-dependent. For me, having gone through a lot of fuzzes, it would be, but that's certainly not the case for everyone.
                    Is the FZ-1w picky about being the first pedal in line, or did Boss work some sort of buffering magic into it?
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Is the FZ-1w picky about being the first pedal in line, or did Boss work some sort of buffering magic into it?
                      Good question! I know it has a special buffer and several reviews indicate that the pedal seems to work fine further down the chain, but it's still a fuzz, so...

Comment

Working...
                      X