Ibanez pentatone preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez pentatone preamp

I just put a order on for one of these bad boys. They just came out and man does that look like a cool pedal. Pre boost, distortion, 5 band parametric EQ, post boost, and a noise gate all in one. And it was only $249! I thought that was a very good deal. Check it out if you want to below;

It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Looks nice. Can't wait to hear how it sounds. That straight into something like a Powerblock or Quilter. Into a 4x12.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly, those preamps look sick!

Comment

I am drooling also, but I have some questions. Is the distortion based on the TS? Is it chip or diode-driven gain?

Comment

Okay, generally chips, well, opamps, amplify, diodes clip, so most (at least a few years ago) distortion/OD pedals are an opamp with diodes in the circuit to clip off the top and bottom of the signal. Prior to that most pedals used distcrete transistors to amplify and when overloaded, distort the signal.

The new breed of amp in a box type pedals generally use FETs to simulate tubes in a preamp circuit, because FET act similar to tubes when driven to clipping.

My guess is this is a combination of some or all the above, maybe an opamp for the input gain, or discrete FETs, driving FETs to overdrive to get the amp-ness, with probably some diode clipping kicking in at a certain point in the gain range. It seems to react pretty amplike in the videos, with way more overdrive than a TS, I'm guessing it was designed to be the main distortion generator in front of a clean amp.

Comment

Ibanez has put out some decent preamp circuits. Remember the Tubescreamer amp?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Ibanez has put out some decent preamp circuits. Remember the Tubescreamer amp?
              Yep. I found a great deal on one and played it for a half hour and couldn't gel with it. I like the TS to push an already overdriven amp but I don't like them for stand-alone gain. That is why I am a bit stand-off-ish on this pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Yep. I found a great deal on one and played it for a half hour and couldn't gel with it. I like the TS to push an already overdriven amp but I don't like them for stand-alone gain. That is why I am a bit stand-off-ish on this pedal.
                Five band parametric. That right there isn't a standard TS circuit.

Comment

that thing does look sick! and the fact you have have preboost, eq, and post boost foot switchable is sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

It's not like a TS at all. It's definitely a High gain pedal. In the demo video with the gain all the way counterclockwise it was about half way through a TS gain range at minimum. It's definitely for high gain, check out a demo, at very low gain levels I sounded pretty good for TS style stuff and can get way more nastier than I'll ever need.
                    It's funny how some stories became historic,
                    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X