Can't decide on a distortion pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't decide on a distortion pedal

I'm having trouble deciding on which distortion pedal will reside on my pedalboard. So I lined them up on the desk and will scroll through and tweak each one to come to a decision.

where is the metal zone?

Comment

Of what you have on there, DS-1
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Don't know what you want the pedal for, so can't really give a legit suggestion. But let's do it any way....

I don't know what the mini is - can't see. If it is a Suhr Riot copy, then that!

Otherwise I'm leaning towards the MXR's. I want something really heavy, so I'm taking the Superbad@$$.

See, when you don't care, it isn't that hard at all!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I personally didn't like the DS-1 when I had it. The voicing is not bad, but the output level is way too weak. Even with it cranked up, when I kicked it on, my distorted sound was quieter than my clean sound (using hot pickups). That was on a clean channel, though.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-03-2023, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Each one, at one time, resided on my pedalboard and each sounded good at that time. Today I wanted to hear each one, side by side, to hear the differences.

Today, the pedal I liked the best, was the Donner Morpher(Riot clone). Each note picked had character to it and suits my style the best.

Comment

What are the pros/cons of each one? I hadn't tried any of them, so I am curious.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have super badass distortion and it gets the job done. Mainly for three reasons: it has three knobs (bass/mid/treble) to shape your sound, the gain knob is all usable from light crunchy sound to more modern high gain territory, and, it is the perfect complement for my preferred overdrive (the gt od) .

Comment

I'm a total weirdo....here's why. I put the Morpher on the pedalboard which has a Zoom G1-Four that I use for delay and cab sim and go direct into audio interface. Yesterday it sounded great.....today it sounded horrible. I hooked up all the distortions and they all sounded horrible. I have these days where EVERYTHING sounds crappy...don't know why. I've learned from experience to justbwalk away and go back tomorrow.
                  Tomorrow if things are better, I'll give my amateur evaluations of each pedal.

Comment

If you like them all, run them all. I use four myself, a Rangemaster clone, Vox in a box, Wampler High Gain, and my trusty Dirt Clod. There are no rules, and if anyone says there are, break them.

Comment

Originally posted by akozols View Post
                      I'm a total weirdo....here's why. I put the Morpher on the pedalboard which has a Zoom G1-Four that I use for delay and cab sim and go direct into audio interface. Yesterday it sounded great.....today it sounded horrible. I hooked up all the distortions and they all sounded horrible. I have these days where EVERYTHING sounds crappy...don't know why. I've learned from experience to justbwalk away and go back tomorrow.
                      Tomorrow if things are better, I'll give my amateur evaluations of each pedal.
                      do you drink a lot of Coffee or Soda? or smoke weed?

If so that could be why some days you love or hate the sound.

Caffeine and weed have powerful influence on your hearing
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

A lot of coffee, no weed.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

do you drink a lot of Coffee or Soda? or smoke weed?

If so that could be why some days you love or hate the sound.

Caffeine and weed have powerful influence on your hearing
                          So does tinnitus.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X