NPD - Cali76CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - Cali76CD

Finally got myself one of these. Gotta say it’s nice. I’ve had other similar ones but this one definitely has more personality.

That's a pedal of the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      That's a pedal of the pros.
      Still in honeymoon period but I can see why. And I have a bazillion compressors. That said, it has a sound so I wonder if it is for everybody. I have not tried it with my hollow body and jazz yet but there I generally prefer optical. Would be the first time I change that.
      Last edited by Blille; 03-18-2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Still in honeymoon period but I can see why. And I have a bazillion compressors. That said, it has a sound so I wonder if it is for everybody. I have not tried it with my hollow body and jazz yet but there I generally prefer optical. Would be the first time I change that.
        I think by adjusting the attack/knee and release you can get it similar to optical.

Comment

I think by adjusting the attack/knee and release you can get it similar to optical.
          You’re probably right.

Comment

What are all the knobs?
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              What are all the knobs?
              Dry (Mix) - Out - In

Ratio - Attack - Release

Comment

Dry (Mix) - Out - In

Ratio - Attack - Release
                So, similar to a Keeley 4 knob silver box?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Except for the fact that this has 6 knobs

Comment

Awesome! How do you like it? Do you find it adds color to the tone?

I personally see the appeal of "transparent" sounding compressors, but I also like compressors that scream HEY, I'M ON NOW!

I'm a compressor freak, personally. When I played bass, I liked running an EHX Black Finger in front of everything, and then an EBS Multicomp to even out the low-end after the preamp.

I can't imagine a clean guitar tone without a compressor as well. I like something squishy and traditional-sounding for that. I used to have an MXR Custom Comp for that, but in my HX, I just use the Dynacomp model.

I always wanted the Keeley 4-knob. When I started playing bass for my last band, I told my guitarrist I was in the market for a compressor. He told me he had two and that he was looking for speakers for his 4x12. He had the Black Finger and the Keeley. I had a couple of spare G12T-75's. I tried both, and I liked how the Black Finger also added a hint of tube overdrive, but I wish I could've traded my speakers for both.
                    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-21-2023, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      Awesome! How do you like it? Do you find it adds color to the tone?

I personally see the appeal of "transparent" sounding compressors, but I also like compressors that scream HEY, I'M ON NOW!

I'm a compressor freak, personally. When I played bass, I liked running an EHX Black Finger in front of everything, and then an EBS Multicomp to even out the low-end after the preamp.

I can't imagine a clean guitar tone without a compressor as well. I like something squishy and traditional-sounding for that. I used to have an MXR Custom Comp for that, but in my HX, I just use the Dynacomp model.

I always wanted the Keeley 4-knob. When I started playing bass for my last band, I told my guitarrist I was in the market for a compressor. He told me he had two and that he was looking for speakers for his 4x12. He had the Black Finger and the Keeley. I had a couple of spare G12T-75's. I tried both, and I liked how the Black Finger also added a hint of tube overdrive, but I wish I could've traded my speakers for both.
                      Nice! I love compressors myself. I really like it. It’s definitely not transparent. The way it compresses and its tone are clearly there. But I really like that. It has a blend but I use it 100% wet. I still need to figure out the tone change with dirt. There’s a three knob version that frankly I could use instead of this fancier one now that I’ve played with it.

In the same family (loosely 1176ish) I have the MXR Studio Compressor which to me is more transparent IMHO and that I use at the end of the chain when I play guitar.

I also appreciate the traditional squishy sound and I have the same MXR Custom Comp which I think it’s clearly a dyna comp but is also unique and more musical than your average dyna comp.

The EBS is excellent. I’ve never played a black finger but I’ve always been curious. The Keeley while great would not be ideal for bass so you made the right choice

In bass my favorite is the ampeg optocomp which is quite affordable used. The HX Stomp has a model of it as well you can check out.

Comment

Oh, try the Black Finger if you can.

It is very idiosyncratic, but if you can get past that, it's a killer unique-sounding compressor. The tubes overdrive relatively easily, and it's sorta noisy. You also need a special power source for it compared to most other pedals. But it's also cool that you can substitute the tubes for different types/brands to further tweak how it reacts. It's also got HEAPS of output, which is something I struggle with compressors. Especially the Dynacomp family.

I'll play around with the compressors on the HX!
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-22-2023, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Not similar at all. Here is the common control comparison

Keeley: Level - Blend - XXXX - XXXX - Sustain....- Tone - XXXX

Cali76: Out - ....Mix....- Ratio ..- Attack .- Release - XXX- Input

Cali has two very important features, and a cool 3rd that simply are not on the Keeley. And no tone on the Cali.

Controlling Ratio and attack with separate release is way different than a single sustain, and can control input level to begin with really fin tunes the devices operation. I'd want input on every bass compressor I use, for example.

Cali has way more fine control than Keely. Probably no Tone because Cali is way more transparent period. Don't get me wrong - I like a comp with tone, but it is a shortcoming of the circuit to need that.

Never played a Cali, but I do like the 4 knob Keeley. But Cali is way more powerful.
                          Last edited by Aceman; 03-22-2023, 02:26 PM.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The original 4 knob Keeley has no tone control. Level, attack, sustain and gain.

Comment

Sooooooo… I finally used it at a rehearsal yesterday and I didn’t love it.

I think that the EQ/flavor it has that I like when I play on my own didn’t work in a busy band setup. I really just slapped it into my signal chain which is likely the problem but the added lows it has compared to a Ross made it more “thuddy” than I’d like.

Comment

Working...
                              X