banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any mini pedal-boarders here that aren't dweebs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any mini pedal-boarders here that aren't dweebs?

It seems like a pretty innocuous hobby and at worst a neat little mental game, but at least on the internet it appears to have some small amount of snobbery assosciated with it. I've never met a mini-board user in real life, but they seem to fall more into the category of guitar equipment enthusiasts more so than players, so I don't know how many of our circles overlap.

Who here has a mini board and why? Is it because it's a cheap little hobby, as far as guitar goes? Or something more... sinister?
    Why do you guys like top jacks and hate battery boxes? Do you ever get tired of the precision required to step on foot switches in such close proximity? What's your ratio of time spent practicing things you aren't good at and time spent looking at gear reviews?

My "mini board" rn is a DS-1 and DC-2w that sit on the floor and I feel I could do a full set with them.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Well, I like top jacks due to board cabling, but I've never put together a mini board. I might put something small together, but it would run on batteries and be easy to set up at a jam. That sounds like the opposite of a only-AC power mini board.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

this is my mini board. battery powered. fuzz->overdrive->delay sounds great and will get me through any gig i play

Comment

Pedal boards in general have just never appealed to me, I prefer my stuff just layed out on the floor, or at most a slightly raised surface. No switchers or anything. For that reason top mounted jacks are a really big inconvenience.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

for me its about time of setup at a gig. having a board with things already in place saves time and makes things easier for me.

Comment

Have several and run them simply because I like the pedals not because they are minis. Don't run much in effects anyway so small is better. Own 3 Wampler minis , Ergo Compressor, A Tumilus mini and a Belle OD then a Xtotic compressor.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

How mini do you want to go?

This is my Go To rehearsal/Jams/Backup board. I use it a lot. Add a DI and it can do a show - and I have used it for that. Fits in a gig bag, runs on a One Spot. In "real" pedals it is a: Suhr Riot, Exotic RC Booster, Boss CE-2, Multi-fx for Flange, Chorus, Phase, Tremolo, Wah etc., and a Boss DD7 w/ 3 modes. Gets me my distortion, Boost and Delay that are my meat/potatoes happy place.

I have an adjustable board that can go Mini if I want. This isn't exactly Mini, but it isn't very big, especially if I get rid of the Vibe.

Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	350512674_770830721452278_9087199126792537367_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=WLzchKiOil8AX8vuIqW&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfAlsV8zYLH-8yRjgP4K1qzxcpW_yZLDWBq09g9a8uTohw&oe=647AE14D.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	6235222

This is what I practice through in my apartment where I can't crank up a tube amp and a 4x12.

Comment

I personally don't like pedals with jacks on the top. Mainly because 90% of the pedals I've owned don't, and any benefit that is gained from them having on the top gets negated if they don't all have them, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

This is something I can kind of get behind, the smaller knobs for less important functions. I hope the gear makers move towards more 1 or 2 knob designs.

I think a pedal that has 3 knobs, one to control compression, one to control reverb, and one to control a DC-2 type chorus would be pretty cool.

Comment

I use a mini board for minor gigs where I'm going direct/quiet statge or to a backline that is off-stage and because I can slip the mini board bag/case over the guitar case's neck portion and carry everything in in one go.

Comment

I guess the HX Effects is my mini board. I've put together small utility boards for shows - noise gate, OD, and tuner for instance. I have lost count of how many times I've seen loose pedals get kicked out of place or otherwise yanked around, I think putting them on a board of some kind is the most reliable live option no matter how few pedals you have.
                        Take it to the limit
                        Everybody to the limit
                        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                          I guess the HX Effects is my mini board. I've put together small utility boards for shows - noise gate, OD, and tuner for instance. I have lost count of how many times I've seen loose pedals get kicked out of place or otherwise yanked around, I think putting them on a board of some kind is the most reliable live option no matter how few pedals you have.
                          Haha, the HX Effects is my main board!
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            How mini do you want to go?

This is my Go To rehearsal/Jams/Backup board. I use it a lot. Add a DI and it can do a show - and I have used it for that. Fits in a gig bag, runs on a One Spot. In "real" pedals it is a: Suhr Riot, Exotic RC Booster, Boss CE-2, Multi-fx for Flange, Chorus, Phase, Tremolo, Wah etc., and a Boss DD7 w/ 3 modes. Gets me my distortion, Boost and Delay that are my meat/potatoes happy place.

I have an adjustable board that can go Mini if I want. This isn't exactly Mini, but it isn't very big, especially if I get rid of the Vibe.

Did you get that Treverb from the eBay link you shared or you already had it?

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Did you get that Treverb from the eBay link you shared or you already had it?
                              Already had it. I share the links when I see good deals.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X