Problems with the custom? or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the custom? or...

I have recently installed a Duncan Custom SH5 in the bridge of my Santana se and I love the sound of it when I use it to practice with at home, nice and full and chunky with edge. But when I use it on stage Im finding it too be slightly to trebly/harsh and the mic im using seems to pickup all the grainyness and hi end and send it through the PA, Is it my amp or is the pickup just voiced this way. I am using a Vox Pathfinder 15R miked up thru a PA and have the treble around 4 and the bass around 7. I have tried placing the mike in different places. Im getting real anoyed cause ive tried a couple of duncans and I always ending up questioning the high end. Should they be used with 250k pots?
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Problems with the custom? or...

Did the harshness start when you replaced the pickup? Maybe it's speaker breakup or a headroom issue. What kind of mic do you use?
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

A shure sm57 Ive had this problem for ages and Ive never been able to get a good sound to my liking out of the P.A no matter what pickups or guitar I use even the other guitarist in the group has a similar sound to me! thats why im wondering maybe the guitars arent being mixed right and how to mix them correctly at the desk i have no idea?
      PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)

Orange Dual Terror Head
      Blackstar HT-5
      Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

but I know there are other pups I can get with less treble and more mids which is what im after maybe that will help cause the custom i find is quite a hard sounding pickup in the high end not as smooth as I would like it to be like say a alnico magnet
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
          but I know there are other pups I can get with less treble and more mids
          Some people find the ceramic magnet harsh sounding. I am not crazy about the way the high end sounds on the Custom myself.
          Maybe the CC would work better for you.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
          X