banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Duncan Designed and EMG-Hz good quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Duncan Designed and EMG-Hz good quality?

I like the looks of some of the Mid-level guitars like Schecter and Esp/Ltd are making but how do the Ducan Designed and EMG-Hz Humbuckers sound on them?

Does anyone use these guitars or pickups?
    Do you think they are worth shelling out $400-500 for these guitars?

Re: Are Duncan Designed and EMG-Hz good quality?

The duncan designed actuall aren't that bad. I'd stay away from the EMG-HZ though. Personally I think they are horrible.

Comment

I read that the Hz-4 pickups sound like the Duncan JB's. I don't know if that is true or not.

Comment

They are far better than most factory pickups, very usable, good sounds for the most part, but they still don't come close to the Duncan originals.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the EMG HZs, but the Duncan Designs *can* be good. The quality control isn't as good, so they're really hit or miss. I have a DD HB-102B (JB knockoff) that sounds as good as either of my real JBs, and I have another that sounds horrible. For what its worth, the good one came in a Schecter 006, and the crappy one came in my ESP/ltd Viper. Funny thing, though, the neck pickup from the Viper is awesome. Sounds as good as my real Jazz.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

stick with the duncan designed ... when choosing my ESP, my choices were the mv-300 and the mv-200. the 300 had a neck through body, all mahogany, EMG-HZ pups, while the 200 had a maple neck bolt on, mahogany body, Duncan designed pups. if i was going with feel i would have chosen the 300. the duncans sound so much better ... full tone, thick and clear. the emgs sounded sterile, bland and lifeless. I got the 200 and saved me about $100. after some mods (changing the designed HB102B to a true JB and adding a push/pull for a coil split), this is my fave out of my arsenal. now the only reason i changed to the jb was that i had it lying around and wanted to do something with it ... the sound of the designed is damn close to the real thing.
            -Greg

Guitars:
            2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
            2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
            2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
            Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

for 500 you can get this schecter with Duncans already in it, and a tonepros bridge

C1 artist

My clips

Originally posted by Rid
              How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

i have EMG H1 in my Jackson and tbh they sound pretty hollow...theyre ok for a distorted sound, it sounds pretty tight but again, you get that hollow feeling which you dont get with active EMGs....im changing to Duncan Alnico 2 Pros soon, that should get me the sound im looking for

Comment

all EMG hz's are made in the USA and are very high quality as good as the quality of the 81 or 85 actives but they are passive versions.
                  the HZ 4 set is very good for those that like the emg 81 without them being active
                  EMG selects are rubbish

Comment

I have both- Duncan Designed in my Schecter Omen 7, and EMG-HZ's in my LTD 7 string. The Duncan Designed were a little hollow sounding, but overall similar to a JB as far as tone and output- but it was way lacking in the harmonics department. I swapped these out pretty quick!

The EMG-HZ's in my LTD sound very good- lots of bass response (very necessary in a 7 stringer!) as well as good overall tone and harmonics. The output is a little hotter than a JB- more along the lines of a distortion.
                    Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                    ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                    ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                    ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                    ESP KH-1
                    LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                    BC Rich KKV
                    Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                    Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

I have DD's in my Samick SG clone that are supposedly modeled after the Distortion and I like them. Chrome covered so they look great and get a good Black Sabbath tone out of them to my ears, anyway.
                      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Working...
                      X