Cleaing a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaing a pickup

What is the best way to clean up a "vintage" looking pickup? Anyone got some things to try.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Re: Cleaing a pickup

Originally posted by Travis
    What is the best way to clean up a "vintage" looking pickup? Anyone got some things to try.
    Not sure what you are referring to here, if it's a covered humbucker then replacing the polepiece screws if they are rusted up, and metal polish for the cover, if the plating is a bit shot though, replacement is necessary if the look is important to you. That goes for a Tele neck pup cover also. If a strat pup, well if the cover is dirty, windex and a clean cloth, maybe 409 or similar cleaner first for tougher grime, either that or replace them. For scratched up non covered HB, or soapbars, well I have taken fine wet dry carbide sandpaper to the tops of them (also cleans the poles up a bit), getting finer and finer,good to have a shop vac handy sucking off the sanding debris as you go along. Polishing compound and cloth.Then cleaning with some cleaner and a cloth. You'll never really get it down to a stock finish, but if you have one that's badly scratched up it does make it look nicer, although it changes the colour a bit, I took a black bobbin and did this, and I stopped before getting into fine-fine grades, and it looks kinda greyish/black like a piece of slate rock ... kinda cool. Although, I suppose you could somehow colour it with something. Stratdeluxer'97 spoke one time of bobbin toppers, those might be a viable option also, and someone spoke one time about colouring new strat covers to be vintage looking, maybe there is an opposite approach that can be done as well ...bump....
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
    X