Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tone and volume pot problems

Glad the volume problem got worked out.

As for the tone problem, I had completely forgotten that I have that exact same problem with the tone control in my Patriot. And its a linear pot. I know I have it wired correctly, so it must be an issue with the cap value.

You can either hang in there til later this weekend, (I'm going to try to fix mine this weekend), or just play around with some different cap values. I'ld probably go with smaller values first. So, if you've got .047's, try .022's. If you have .022's, try .01's.

Comment

alright
      i know my pots are linear, im using .047 capacitors at the moment
      ill get somethin a little smaller

Comment

Are you sure they are linear? Audio pots have a A before the value and linear pots have a B before the value. Your problem sounded like an audio pot to me. But I could be wrong.
        !

Comment

wait you might be right
          explain to me the difference, being the non techy person i am :P

theyre dimarzio 500K pots.. no reference to the taper on the pot or packaging

Comment

Originally posted by AussiePete

theyre dimarzio 500K pots.. no reference to the taper on the pot or packaging
            DMZ custom taper pots are what they are ... a custom taper that DMZ came up with ... mine don't act like that? Now their push pull pots, the taper is not specified by them ... I was told they were audio taper, but they are marked B, but an A or B marking is only a code the manufacturer uses(along with others), it's open to their interpretation. I have some older ones, so maybe they have changed manufactuers/suppliers ... that I don't know. The push pulls are very even as well, both for tone and volume use. So I'm at a loss to offer an explanation. Maybe they changed suppliers? If so they need to make it clear in their catalogues, other wise their own supplier's are ripping them off.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Check this link out. Hope it helps! http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
              !

Comment

Baisicly, as I understand it, A=audio taper, B=linear taper, C=reverse audio taper. It may vary, but audio taper usualy means at halfway open (50%), the audio pot lets 15% of the sound through. As you turn the pot the rest of the way(remaining 50%) it allows the remaining 85% of your sound to come through. This may be where you hear your on/off sound. Linear means at 50% open you actualy hear 50% of you sound, 100% open you hear 100% of your sound. As I said it may vary, but I believe this to be a industry standard.
                !

Comment

Originally posted by milkbone
                  Check this link out. Hope it helps! http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
                  Yeah, and that commerical log (audio) is that two section approximation of an audio curve that almost everyone uses, unless you spend some money.
                  Most *audios* go to 10% of theie value at the 50% rotation point, and then start to take of from there. If you turn your pot (not connected to anything) and turn it to 50% of it's rotation (halfway) and then measure the resistance between the CCW lug and the Wiper if you come up with around 10% of the pot's full rated value (e.g. a 500k pot, will be around 50k) then it's an *audio* taper; if it reads about half the full rated amount (e.g. a 500k pot,
                  will be around 250k) it will be a linear taper. I've seen some bizarre use of codes,which again I say makes me think the manufacturer puts whatever they deem on there as an in-house code, so measuring is the best way to know.
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                  X