Slash's tone: a2pro or amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slash's tone: a2pro or amp

i love slash's tone on "appetite for destruction" and i know he uses alnico 2 pro pickups. my question is this: is what i am hearing a characteristic of his pickups or mostly his amp? or both?

i will be playing a superstrat thru a fender blues deville 410, so i know i cant emulate his amp tone. unless ,maybe ,i get a Tone Bone Hot British, which i plan to do! but as far as pickups, would the alnico 2 pro get me in the ballpark?

Re: Slash's tone: a2pro or amp

yeah its definately part of the smooth sustaining highs and crunchy mids of hte A2pro that defines his sound.......... i think you could get pretty close with the tone bone pedal and an a2pro.....
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

From my experience, it's definitely the amp. A decent Marshall tube amp, such as a JCM800, can easily get you there.

I have had a pair of antiquities in my Les Paul. Even with that, it's easily achieveable with the Marshall.

Now, I have replaced the ants in favour of something more hotter, a Steven Kersting custom-wound neck pickup, and a Duncan JB... still, can get the Slash tone.

The Marshall tube amp is a huge part of his tone, and of course, his fantastic chops.

Comment

Yeah - it's the Marshall with the lower output humbucker. I've got AP2's in one Les Paul and 490/498's in my other, and although they are different pups, through an overdriven Marshall, they don't sound that different.

His sound is defined by a Les Paul through a slightly higher gain Marshall (the 2555). You'll find the 2205/2210 Marshall's will get you in that territory. Just crank the master volume to 10, use the other volume controls on the amp to control overall volume and back off a bit on the gain (around 6-7), and you'll find yourself in Slash territory...

...then you just have to learn the technique and chops!!!
        'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

...then you just have to learn the technique and chops!!! [/QUOTE]

yeah, thats the biggest obstacle!

Comment

I think the pup has a big influence on the tone as well....I have an APH II in my double fat strat. I recorded a cover of Knockin On Heavens Door with that pup and a CC thru my Boss GT-6 using the Soldano patch for the distorted rythym and solo...have a listen, it’s about 4 songs down on the list.

A good Marshall amp will definitely fill out the rest, but the smooth tone of that APH is a very necessary ingredient.

The APH is my favorite neck bucker.

My Sound Clips

Comment

I thought Slash used to advertise for SD using a Custom?
              !

Comment

I know Dave Kushner uses a Custom now...

I think it's more the amp though. But really if you want to get Slash's overall vibe, you just need to think vintage. Vintage pups like a2p, 59, pg, or Antiquities will all work for that, (even a Custom probably wouldn't be far off) and a vintage style amp like a Marshall stack or maybe even a Fender Bassman.

My man Saul is just really into the blues setups, you can tell.
                Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                Originally posted by Sosomething
                "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
                  I know Dave Kushner uses a Custom now...

I think it's more the amp though. But really if you want to get Slash's overall vibe, you just need to think vintage. Vintage pups like a2p, 59, pg, or Antiquities will all work for that, (even a Custom probably wouldn't be far off) and a vintage style amp like a Marshall stack or maybe even a Fender Bassman.

My man Saul is just really into the blues setups, you can tell.
                  Very good point! And I'd like to concur whole-heartedly about the Antiquities doing the Slash thing when played through a Les Paul/Marshall setup. Antiquities (with Dun-Aged Alnico2s) do the Slash tone very very well with the right amp. Also, they do the Cream-era Clapton tone (Beano) so convincing that it can be scary!

Comment

A big part of Slash's tone is the amibant sound he gets? He's very
                    tight lipped about what he use's for Reverb/delay ?? or what ever it
                    is he does to achive that sound?
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Amp is more important.
                      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

The A2P and Marshall Jubilee will both help but I'll wager the hands and head are more important.

Comment

I was playin' a 93 Les Paul studio, EMG active pickups(sorry, don't know name of 'em) through my JCM 800. Guys in my band were *****in' at me cause it sounded EXACTLY like Slash.

Gotta get those EMGs outta there, but might help YOU get to the promised land.

Comment

Read an article by Slash '92 or '93. Not sure what CD he was recording then but he said he was running into wah first then splitting the signal. One leg to a Dual Recti and the other to a JCM 800. The Marshall was mic'ed in a booth. He used the Mesa as a monitor cause it offered more sustain at a lower volume but said he didn't like the tone. It was not even mic'ed. I have a Recti with both channels cloned to 800 (Lead/Rhythm volumes) and I do miss the tone of the Marshall output transformer. Does any one here know if Slash is using 6550s or EL34s?
                            Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

A2P will help alot, but the amp has a alot to do withhis tone. Get anice marshall tube amp and you will sounds pretty good close to slash, and if not exact, then at least you willl have amazing tone either way.
                              Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                              X