X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• korovamilkdud
    replied
    Re: Jazz neck

Not to hijack, but how do you choose which coil to split? I've got a spst push-pull pot and I just have both the red and white soldered to the same terminal on top.

Leave a comment:

• hacker
    replied

Wait a second- are you guys saying you think the Jazz neck humbucker sounds like one of Johnny Winter's mini humbuckers in his firebird (which is his most popular tone)? Seems like a stretch to me. The Jazz is, and soundslike a full sized humbucker pickup. It's not abrasive and tinny like Johnny Winter's tone.

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

Originally posted by Stevo
    I also think the Jazz is nice for country tone, and reminds me of some Mark Knopfler's riffs, with his Les Paul. As most of us agree, the amp has a huge influence on tone.
    I like to use specific examples and I have recorded many clips. I think that is more helpful than saying it's "warm" or it "shreds" or it's "tinny". Someone recently compared a pickup to a bucket of fish uh huh.. yup

Hahahahaha a bucket of fish!!!

Id love to hear some clips

Leave a comment:

• butnut
    replied

I dropped the Jazz/JB combo into my Tele-Gib and it rocks! I did'nt split it ( I have a split Jazz in my LP...just got it and I'm trying to figure out if I like it) but you will dig the tones these pups have. You're right Stevo, when I push the gain, the Jazz does have that Johnny Winter vibe...very kool, I'm using 250k pots which Seymour did recommend and I see no reason to go to 500k, maybe it's the Ash body and Maple neck...it's plenty spunky. Have fun with your project and post pics when it's done.

Leave a comment:

• Guitarist
    replied

Here's some additional information...

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

I also think the Jazz is nice for country tone, and reminds me of some Mark Knopfler's riffs, with his Les Paul. As most of us agree, the amp has a huge influence on tone.
    I like to use specific examples and I have recorded many clips. I think that is more helpful than saying it's "warm" or it "shreds" or it's "tinny". Someone recently compared a pickup to a bucket of fish uh huh.. yup

Leave a comment:

• midnite_man
    replied

I use one with a split wiring configuration in the neck of my Schecter C-1 Classic (came from factory with JB/Jazz set), and feel the Jazz is definitely a great neck pickup. It's just like Lew said about it having a springy tone to it, and it's not too bright at all for my taste. When played split it sounds a lot like a Strat or Tele single coil, as does the JB in the bridge (also from the factory/and split).
    I think it's one of the best neck 'buckers SD makes, and it's easy to understand why this combo is Seymour's fav.
    The two pups compliment each other very well.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Stevo
    I had one in the neck of a tele and it sounded a lot like his tone when distorted with a jcm800 when using high preamp gain. In fact, the jazz was specifically mentioned when I asked about Johnny Winter's tone, here, a couple of years ago. Jeremy suggested it.
    Never heard one in a Tele. That probably would be alot differant than in a Les Paul. I don't think alot of people have heard the Jazz...they're kind of afraid it's to clear and bright and can't do rock or something like that. I just didn't want to scare anyone off, because it's a great pickup. Jolly uses one to do all of his recordings. Doesn't sound anything like Johnny Winter's tone on his demos. Lew

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

Originally posted by Lewguitar
    I wouldn't compare the tone of a Jazz in a Les Paul or Hamer Studio to Johnny Winter's thin and frantic Fender Mustang, Gibson Firebird, or Erlewine Lazer tone...
    I had one in the neck of a tele and it sounded a lot like his tone when distorted with a jcm800 when using high preamp gain. In fact, the jazz was specifically mentioned when I asked about Johnny Winter's tone, here, a couple of years ago. Jeremy suggested it.

Leave a comment:

• mjsever
    replied

I really dig the jazz neck pickup- very clear, very responsive...SD really nailed this one. It's also pleasantly bright, but not so bright that you'd mistake it for your bridge pickup.

It sounds excellent split... like an authentic single coil instead of like half a humbucker. It approximates a tele neck but not quite, but if you wanted a tele tone you'd own a tele! Unfortunately I don't have a comparison as to which coil (top or bottom) sounds better; I didn't experiment after the guitar tech installed it for me.

The nice thing about this pickup is that is on the hotter side when humbucking and much more tame when split. So if you want some push use both coils, but if you want super duper clean you can split it. I went through a phase where I was using the split to control my guitar volume during a song- in the quiet parts I'd split it, and then in the louder parts and solo I'd put both coils on. But I never got the hang of pushing and pulling while I was playing so I went back to the pedal.

Leave a comment:

• skyydogg01
    replied

just the man i needed to hear it from ... Thanks Lew!!!

here's the reason why i wanted to know this ...
    i want to take a squier fat tele and mod it. JB/jazz set with a bridge to accomodate the JB. 500k pots with a push/pull on the tone to split both hummers. the goal is to get a tele to sound like it shouldn't but still be able to get the tele tones when needed. i chose the squier because i can mod it and not feel bad that i'm cutting a big @$$ whole in an expensive guitar.

again, Thanks Lew.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    Guest replied

I'll bite.

I find the Jazz to be similar to the 59N.

What I hear as a diff is that the Jazz seems to have more genuine highs. Not just brighter mids, but more upper harmonics: a slightly zingy, slightly springy sound way up on top, especially when played clean.

And the Jazz seems to have a little less bass than the 59N...but just a little.

Split, the Jazz sounds really nice in a Les Paul or Hamer Studio Archtop. A very usable Strat or Tele like tone, that isn't exactly like either but very usable. Especially when combined with a split bridge humbucker like a JB.

The Jazz is my favorite alnico 5 neck humbucker in a Les Paul or Hamer guitar.

I think it'll rock out just fine and will easily start to push any of my tube amps into overdrive at about volume 4 or so.

I don't like Johnny Winter's tone and never have...I wouldn't compare the tone of a Jazz in a Les Paul or Hamer Studio to Johnny Winter's thin and frantic Fender Mustang, Gibson Firebird, or Erlewine Lazer tone...but we all hear things differantly.

Leave a comment:

• skyydogg01
    replied

bump

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

The jazz is pretty glassy for a neck humbucker. It is not real sensitive when compared to a 59n. It's not as fat sounding as the PGn. When distorted, it reminds me of Johnny Winter tone. Not too thick, but a nice mix of treble and fatness.
    I have not tried splitting a jazz so no comment there.
    I have a few clips if you'd like to hear them.

Leave a comment:

• Young Angus
    replied

I too am interested in details about this as i will be getting a jazz neck soon for my new LP and will be setting it up to be split somehow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X