Duncan Jazz & JB Combo - Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Jazz & JB Combo - Awesome

I replaced the Seth Lovers in my 1997 Brian Moore DC-1 yesterday with the Jazz / JB combo and also installed a P style Megaswitch which gives me the same pickup switching scheme as a PRS 5 way rotary knob.

What a GREAT combination of pups! They are so perfectly matched for this type of guitar - hardtail, set neck, maple topped mahogany (like a LP). Unlike the Lovers, there is no "night and day" type difference when you switch from the neck HB to the bridge HB. PERFECT!!

The only suck was that I had to file out the pup routes in the guitar. The new gold covers had flares around the bottom edges! Man, that was hairy! One slip and that gorgeous top would have been hosed............

Re: Duncan Jazz & JB Combo - Awesome

Beautiful guitar, and great to hear that combo worked a treat. I just got a les paul standard and ill be changing the pickup set soon hopefully and will be after either that combo or a CC/Jazz combo...not sure yet.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

What's the Brian Moore DC-1? Can't find it on his site.

I love the JB/Jazz combo. That is one of the best even though I have only heard the JB.

Two other awesome combos are the Rio grande BBQ/Texas (like a fatter and warmer JB/Jazz) and also the C-5/59.

These are pretty much the only three I consider now. Works for me.

Comment

You have to click on the "Custom Shop" heading. The DC1-P is a USA made model. not one of the Korean iGuitar models.

Comment

Those pickups are not my favorites but I think the center position is ultra sweet, with both on at the same time.. ska tone amundo
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Dude, those Brian Moores are great- I think that they are the nicest playing guitars I've ever wrapped my fingers around.

I'd be interested to hear what pickups you replaced, and what you like better about the JB/Jazz.
            Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
            Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
            Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
            http://emayhem.com/the_fords
            (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

The stock Seth Lovers were oh so sweet for slow phrasing but couldn't handle speed runs. They would sound too compressed and mushy. And they were not equally matched in output when you switched from neck to bridge.

The Jazz and JB handle the speed, are better matched, and with the 5 way switch I got tons more options. The Lovers were also only single conductor pups.

Comment

I love that combo in my Tele-Gib...funny you mention that Stevo...I have the toggle in the middle most of the time, I play with the vol knobs to dial in either...so Donnie...did you get my PM about those Seths? hmmmmmmmm...

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                Celestion speakers
                Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie B.
                  The Jazz and JB handle the speed, are better matched, and with the 5 way switch I got tons more options. The Lovers were also only single conductor pups.
                  How do the JB and Jazz blend tonally? Is the Jazz a warmer, fatter sounding version of the JB?
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Donnie, I am drooling over that guitar and may look into one. If you don't mids...what is the average street price?? How does it sound? Like a Les Paul or PRS Singlecut? I am not crazy about gold hardware however.....but my goodness she looks like an amazing ax. Plays like butter?

Comment

The JB/Jazz combo is my personal favorite. Right now, I have a HSH config. in my Strat that has Screamin Demon/stock/Jazz.... another great combination.
                      It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                      - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I recently bought a Washburn HB35, it's similar to a 335 model. The stock mics are to muddy for me. Do guys think this combo would suit this guitar? I'm looking for overall good sound (pop, rock), but not metal or jazz.

Thanks!

Comment

i got a jazz/jb combo and i love it as well
                          boreddddddddddd

Comment

Do any of you find the JB lacking a little in the full bass department?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                              Do any of you find the JB lacking a little in the full bass department?
                              many say that? my only gripe was the peaked upper mids,but it had ample low end for me?

Comment

Working...
                              X