banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

naturally bright sounding guitar. darker pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naturally bright sounding guitar. darker pickups?

my guitar sounds really bright played acoustically. so should i go with darker sounding pickups like alnico 2 pickups to balance out the sound, or alnico 5 pickups to accentuate the natural sound of the guitar?

Re: naturally bright sounding guitar. darker pickups?

depends if you want to accentuate the highs or not

generally a lot of the guys on the forum like to do things that way though to keep things balanced (bright guitar dark pups)

danger is if you put a bright pup in the bright guitar you might end up with a too bright axe.
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

danger is if you put a bright pup in the bright guitar you might end up with a too bright axe.[/QUOTE]

thats what i am afraid of, especially since i play thru a fender amp. i dont like a "jangly, glassy" kind of sound. i like a "meaty growl" from the bridge humbucker and a "warm vintage" sound from the neck single coil.

so i am thinking alnico 2 pro bridge humbucker and alnico 2 pro single coil at the neck with no tone controls, just a seperate volume for each pickup, and a 3-way switch. ( uh huh huh, i said 3-way)

Comment

Depends on what you're looking for. My Lynchs are maple bodied guitars, and they have Screamin' Demons in 'em and they sound CHOICE!!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

my favorite single coil tones are #1 Ty Tabor on early King's X albums, and #2 Chris Issak's "wicked game".

my favorite humbucker tone is Slash on "appetite for destruction", Jake E. Lee on "the ultimate sin", Warren Di Martini on early Ratt stuff, and of course George Lynch on pretty much everything he plays!

Comment

Somewhere on the main page there's a chart with what type magnets go with what type of woods. Seems like there's an interview with Seymour about this too.
            Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

i saw that, and for alder and poplar(my guitar is one or the other, not sure) the chart reccomends alnico 5 pickups. but i like the idea of a darker tone, with lots of mids and a loose flabby kinda bass, and not alot of jangly treble. so it seems that an alnico 2 pickup would be the way to go. however i am open to the suggesition of the more experienced members here.

one other question, would there be much of a volume drop from the a2 pro bridge humbucker to the a2 pro single coil at the neck?

Comment

Working...
              X